Went to nurse my 8 month old son at bedtime and don't think there's any milk

I might be venting and looking for sympathy more than advice here, but I'm kind of freaked out. I last nursed my son around 4:30, and just went to put him to bed at 7:00, but when I was nursing him, he acted like he wasn't getting anything. I tried to express something with my fingers to see what was going on, and could barely raise a few drops. I'm not sure he's really tired right now because he took a late nap, so I'm going to let him stay up another half hour and try again. All the stored milk I have is frozen solid, so I might have to try some formula and see if he'll take it--he hasn't accepted formula before, though, and won't take a bottle even of EBM from me. I did feed him dinner, so it's not like he's starving...he just hasn't gone to bed without nursing or a bottle before. Ack! I hate how my milk supply is drying up!!!

Mamastheword

Asked by Mamastheword at 10:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You probably aren't really drying up. As the baby gets older your supply changes and the milk might not be as easy to express. Drying up takes a lot longer than a few hours.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:29 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I can't imagine that you're drying up if you have been continually nursing. Menstrual cycles can cause you to have a little less milk, but only while you're on your period. Your supply is constantly changing to accommodate your child's needs.

And about giving him a bottle, there's no need to give formula if you have frozen breastmilk! It only takes a few minutes to thaw bm under running warm water!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 10:33 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• you should only thaw bm with cool water, and once it's not frozen anymore warm it up with warm water.
    Anonymous

• I agree, your BM is probably fine. I actually went through something similar recently with my 19 month old. I don't know if it was because I was not drinking enough, or really stressed or what, but my milk supply dipped for about 2 days, and then was and is fine.

To boost your supply, drink LOTS of water, like continuall throughout the day. you can eat oatmeal for breakfast (or anytime), and there are supplements as well. Fenugreek is the most common, but you have to take almost 10 pills a day to see the effect in 24-72 hours.

Anyway, give it time and continue to offer the breast. good luck!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• First, thanks for the advice! I have to say, this went from bad to worse. After trying again to nurse--unsuccessfully--I gave him some of the formula I had on hand but never used, and was relieved and shocked to see that he sucked the bottle down in minutes flat. In fact, he still seemed to want more, so I was going to go make another bottle. Just then my husband got home from work, and I asked him to hold the baby while I fixed more formula. Two minutes later, the baby puked up all over my husband, and got a red rash with white bumps all around his chin, cheeks and mouth. So it looks like he had an allergic reaction to the (milk-based) formula! By the time we got him cleaned up and calmed down, he could barely keep his eyes open, he was so tired. I coaxed him into eating a few spoons of cereal with applesauce and then he was out. Poor baby! I'm going to chug water and fenugreek now, and get my milk supply back up.
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 12:01 AM on Feb. 2, 2009