Everytime i ask my 22 months old a question, like simple things, "Are you thirsty?", "Do you want your blanket?" he ALWAYS shakes his head no and he know how to shake it yes. And i know he wants what i'm asking for, So when he shakes it no i dont give it to him, I want him to show me he CAN do the difference. Is that bad thatthats i do that?

Serenityc21

Asked by Serenityc21 at 10:32 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would just correct expect verbal answers. if he says yes, then model the right gesture while saying yes back. this is a pick your battles moment, and if he's using the right verbal response, don't get into a power play over it.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:35 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I have always corrected my kids and told them that they mean yes and I shake my head yes and they do the same thing.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 10:35 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• nope, is good idea to help him understand but he can try his best. Is take time to learn new things his life. Im try to same things to my son who hearing. not easy to being deaf mom use voice. Im happy to talk him and try get him undertsand what he need from me,
    whoishotmama

Answer by whoishotmama at 10:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My son is 23 months old and he always nods his head yes. He's capable of shaking his head but he doesn't. Do as you see fit. I don't do it that way. I offer whatever it is and if he pushes it away I'll say, Oh so the answer was NO? and I'll shake my head. He's finally getting it but for now he doesn't really understand(he just knows a nod is an answer not that it means yes) so I will try to teach him in a manner that doesn't frustrate him too much or cause too much drama between us.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My son does that too, I just correct him. I'm not sure at that age they really understand the difference.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Maybe you could ask him questions that don't require a yes or no answer. Two year olds are notorious for overusing the word NO : ) Instead of asking him "Are you thirsty?" say "Would you like milk or juice?" You are increasing his vocabulary by learning the proper names for many different things and he will learn to make choices. Just my two cents, each child is different and this may not work for you.
    AlwaysConfused1

Answer by AlwaysConfused1 at 11:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I don't know if it will help but with my daughter I don't correct her. Instead if I know she wants it and she says no. I offer it to her and when she takes it I than say Yes and shake my head with emphases. I didn't take to long before she began shaking her head. I can see how much concentration it takes to bobble that little head up and down. Her yes is more of a "Essss"LOL
    mama_lou

Answer by mama_lou at 8:52 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My DD will be 2 next month. She will not nor OR day yes. She jusy says "no" and acts like yes. "Do you want your juice?" She says "No" as she reaches for it...
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 1:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• It's pretty typical for children this age to mix up "yes" and "no" (although they can certainly say "no" and mean it when they want to can't they).
    I'd focus on trying to get a verbal "yes" or "no" from him as often as you can. Model it for him and he'll learn eventually.
    In the mean time, it's perfectly fine to offer him the drink, blankie, what have you even if he says "no". If he really wants something he'll take it and if he doesn't, he won't.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• my 23 month old used to say no when i knew he meant yes.. at first i tried to withhold the item and try to get him to say yes before i gave it to him, but honestly... most days i had to pick my battles and if he got frustrated and confused he would cry and scream... and i would give in, letting him have it before he said yes... but as i handed him whatever it was, i would say, "ooh, you mean YES!" and nod my head.
    as well as -- i thought maybe i needed to be using the word "yes" more often through out the day and associating it with good things that were happening like... "yes, thats a good job!" "do you want that toy? yesss" as i handed him the toy.
    and using "no" less often by replacing it with something like "don't touch" or "out of yer mouth" "thats not nice" "please put that back" good luck <3
    the new approach took my son a few weeks to figure out the difference
    MadeOfStars

Answer by MadeOfStars at 6:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2009