child care.

i been staying home with my daughter since she was born, she's almost 1 now and so im getting ready to go back to school and work. im kinda worried about putting her in day care but we really have no other options, plus with only one of us working we don't have a lot of extra money for day care so my question is how can i find a good day care that isn't too expensive is there some kinda of program that i can work thrrough and how to i know if its the right day care i want to use. im open to any advice thanks :)

LiLMAMA421

Asked by LiLMAMA421 at 10:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you can do it ,stay home..... She will be better for it
    Anonymous

• right now i really cant i stayed home with her as long as i could but now we need the extra money thats the only reason i mean don't get me wrong if i could stay home with her forever i would
    LiLMAMA421

Answer by LiLMAMA421 at 11:20 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• ok, so i dont want to sound mean, but that first answer obviously was of no help to you! i dont know of any programs that can help u, but i worked in daycare and I can tell you things you want to look for in a daycare. first check out the infant room, she'll probably start in there. a good daycare will have a crib for each child that is theirs and only theirs! no other kid should sleep in it. also the area with the cribs should be seperated from the play area. usually this is done with a plexiglass wall. There should be a fridge in the room that holds each childs bottles so that the teachers never have to leave the room. they should have a no shoe policy in the infant room as well (prevents tracking dirt in there where kids crawl) there should be lots of different toys with minimal "restraint" toys such as swings exersaucers and such. you dont want those because some caregivers will leave kids in there all day. (cont.........
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• there should be toys for different developmental stages, like soft toys, maybe a "soft pool" with soft toys, as well as puch toys and such for those learning to walk. caregiver to child ratio is different in every state, but generally its 4 infants to every 1 caregiver.
    I know that there usually is state aid that you can apply for that will pay for a portion of your child care. and there are some daycares that will reduce your weekly fee based on income, but thats something you'll have to call around to find. Alot of times directors of centers can direct you towards a different center that offers such programs. I hope that helps you!! good luck!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Try to find out about Title XX. I had this when my kids were babies and they paid a certain percentage of my child care so I could both work and go to college. I know we only paid like $80 a month for 2 kids full time, but this was like 10 years ago lol! Check with your local Department of Human Services (DHS or DSHS). The advice in the post above sounds about right on how to find a good child care provider too. I prefer home daycares because it is normally a less formal, more relaxed setting with fewer children, but some centers are great too. Good luck and God bless you and your family!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:05 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• In addition to the great info from Amanduhpanda -- always inspect the diaper/potty areas and kitchens to make sure they are clean. Since your child is almost one, I'd check the playground too. It should be separate from the older kids area. I always watch for there to be someone at the front to greet you. THis is so 1. kids can't sneak out and 2. strangers are always caught and directed to the proper place (out if necessary!). Most states have a website where you can check the inspections, too. Not too sure about financial help though.

Personally, I love day care. My daughter is social (which I never was!) and loves going. She's learned so much from interacting with the other kids and the teachers.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 8:26 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• thanks everyone sooo much i would of never thought of all the things too look for you really helped me out thanks!
    LiLMAMA421

Answer by LiLMAMA421 at 9:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2009