packing my hospital bag

What do you suggest I put in it?
I know I could get a list from MANY websites, but I wanted to get a list from people who have had to pack their bags, and then realized what they actually needed, and then what they SHOULD have been told to bring.

What did you bring? What did you forget? Give me your list. please :)

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 11:28 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• One of the biggest things I forgot and needed desperately was lip balm/chapstick! My lips were SO DRY... Here is my list this time:
    lip balm
    toiletries
    comfy socks
    slippers
    nursing nightgown
    stretchy, comfy going home outfit
    3-4 pairs of comfy "granny panties"
    Ipod
    camera
    money for hospital pictures
    hard candy ( no red) to suck on and/or money for snack machines
    little gift bag for husband with snacks he enjoys ( gum, candy, etc)
    phone numbers
    hair ties
    ( this is just my bag)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:26 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• -Nursing bra
    -Nursing pads
    -Nursing gown (if you want one. It was easier to learn to breastfeed without it)
    -Some comfy PJs for you while in the hospital
    -A "Going Home" outfit for your baby and you
    -Regular wipes (most hospital only carry guaze pads you can wet)
    -Blankets (it may be cold when you leave or you may want her or him to have something of their own in the nursery)
    -Snacks or change for the vending machine
    -Juice to drink during labor (some hospitals won't give it to you if they have a "not eat or drink" poilcy)
    -A CAMERA!!!
    Anonymous

• Besides going home clothes, shampoo and conditioner, if you are planning to nurse, nursing pads and lanolin.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:35 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I took a lot of stuff I didnt use.
    I actually used :
    a couple pair of pajamas
    my pillow
    camera
    baby book
    clothes for me and baby to wear home
    pacifier for baby
    i breastfed but if youre going to formula feed i'd pack some just in case
    tooth brush/paste
    shampoo/shower gel
    i think that's about it. congrats and good luck!
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• i take the car seat and clothes for the baby and myself with shampoo and a brush and a pony tail for the hospital i go to gives u a nighty and slippers and diapers and formula and bottle when ur there and leave
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 11:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Not all hospitals provide formula. Many are starting to go "formula free" unless there is a medical neccessity and often the "formula free" hospitals will have donated BM as an alternative to formula.

SO if you are planning to use formula you need to make sure that your hospital carrys it. BUT hey there is certainly nothing wrong with giving breastfeeding a chance.
    Anonymous

• Whatever you pack, MAKE A LIST. A lot of what you pack you use every day, so it won't be packed when you go into labor. This was vital for us, because when I my water broke, we didn't have the bag when we went to the hospital. My husband had to come home and get it. Be sure to pack phone/camera chargers, a favorite pillow from home (with a colored/patterned pillowcase you don't care about so it doesn't get mixed in with the hospital pillows), chapstick, hairties, flip flops for the shower, something comfy to wear home, brush, toiletries, and something for the baby to wear home. Also make sure your carseat is installed before you go into labor, and you guys know how to use it properly. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:07 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Thank you ladies :)
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 11:05 AM on Feb. 2, 2009