Perfect vavcation length time? (oh, yeah...WITH inlaws! ugh)

This is day 6 in hell. AKA Yosemite w/inlaws. The first couple days are nice but now I just feel trapped. Always having to worry about what everyone wants to do, make sure I don't eat the last granola bar, can't just get in the car and go... I just want to go home!!! Thank God we leave tomorrow. This is the 5th year we have stayed up here with them (they live out of state but get a cabin here annually).

What's your perfect vacation length and where do you enjoy going?

Tesserae

Asked by Tesserae at 10:18 AM on Jul. 8, 2012 in Travel

• If it's with other people, 3 days, max. I'm an urban vacation—museums, etc. kind of person.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:22 AM on Jul. 8, 2012

• Consider yourself lucky as its just 6 days. My MIL is coming to stay with us for 6-8 weeks!!! She's coming from a different country so 8 weeks with her daughter and 8 with us. I try not to get in her way and treat her real nice (learned it from my mom, no matter who the guest is, make them feel welcome in your home), but she can be pretty controlling, critical and after DH that he's being taken over by me. Urghhh !!!
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 8, 2012

• My mom treated us to a trip to Disney World & Universal Studios a few years ago. It was really generous of her & we had adjoining rooms. My mom is a planner & has an itinerary. We are more go w/ the flow kind of people who don't want a sched., esp. while on vacation. But we survived :) We don't do too many long vacations. More like long weekends & it's usually just us, no inlaws. Kudos for surviving the ordeal :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 8, 2012

• 2 days... that would be enough. Just had the inlaws here for a week. That was too long!
    Amgrl210

Answer by Amgrl210 at 11:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2012

• I would LOVE to take my ILs on a 2 weeks cruise to Hawaii. We went this past December, and plan to go again next year (December 2013), and I would absolutely LOVE to bring them with us. My MIL and FIL are the sweetest people I know, and the ones who deserve a vacation somewhere the most! They are completely selfless, help everyone, love unconditionally, and they deserve some pampering.
    DF and I are trying to figure out a way to make that happen, but we doubt they would be able to take the time off work, and that they would want to spend Christmas away from home, even if it is in Hawaii with us.
    We are also considering DFs sister. I would love to have her there. She is awesome, thats why she is my MOH in October!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:39 AM on Jul. 8, 2012

• 2 days of rock crawling at an off road park, in our Jeep. That's the perfect vacation with my family. They all love it, we're outdoors all day, and sleep like rocks at night. With me being the only female it's all about the boys, and they have a blast.

Sorry you're having a bad time. Maybe next yr plan a trip for just your family, and no in-laws.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:42 AM on Jul. 8, 2012

• 10 days. We have done 2 weeks which is too long.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2012

• Yeah It depends on which inlaws. With the one a week is too short, with the other and hour is too long
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2012

• My in-laws go down the Jersey shore every year the same 10 days, to the same motel for the past 45 years. We used to go down when my kids were little. If we left for the day to go to the zoo or go sight seeing while down there we were berated for taking the grandkids away. Now we don't vacation with them anymore. We do our thing and they do theirs. The last time we were there was 3 years ago when they took the kids with them and we went down for the last 5 days. We kept getting phone calls from our kids that grandma and grandpa were fighting and didn't like being there. My dh was ready to make the 2 hour trip to rescue them. That was the last straw.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 1:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2012

• I just got back from a week with my inlaws - it was wonderful! We do it every year and I've stayed up to 10 days at a time with them, with my husband coming back home in the middle of the week to work a couple days. I think I could stay with them forever if needed, they are wonderful! But after 2 weeks away anywhere I'm ready to come home!

Answer by missanc at 8:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2012