sign language

so i was thinking about trying to teach my almost 9 month old sign language.  what do you think about babies that know sign language?

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i know sign language i think it is a great idea

• awesome idea! my DD's know sign. if they become interested it could become a second language for them down the road! just be sure you're teaching REAL sign and not "baby sign". has wonderful videos for kids to learn. sometimes you can rent the vids from the video store or the local library. they also have it on pBS in some cities.

Answer by Pieta0227 at 11:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• great idea. my son only knows 'milk' so far, he's 6 1/2 months. my 4 year old hd benefited greatly from it, there is a boy in her playgroup who is deaf, and he really likes that another kid c an 'talk' to him.

Answer by jcsmummy at 11:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I think it's great! I am teaching my son but not working quite as hard as I should be...signing time videos are great. "It's signing time with alex and leah" yah...a lot of it sticks in your head...but that's what they need! I have songs from those videos in my head alll day!!! it's also known to expand a childs vocabulary and prevent/avoid most terrible 2 tantrums!

Answer by britni11 at 12:07 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• It's been helpful.
    I started showing my daughter the "My Baby Can Talk" sign language series at about 10 months and she loved it. I quickly learned the signs and was so excited when she started signing to me. Being able to ask for a few of the things she wanted really helped her. One of the biggest reasons young toddlers throw fits is because they can't make themselves understood. Even now at 2.5 years, she will resort to signs when her pronuciation is too poor to make her wants understood.

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:33 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• It's a great idea!! However, I strongly recommend sticking with ASL, not any of those "baby sign" programs. ASL is a great second langauge to learn! You'll be able to also communicate with the deaf/hearing impaired!

We did it with our sons and it did cut back on the frustration factor a LOT!!!

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:24 AM on Feb. 2, 2009