Do I have a chance with unemployment?

So I was fired on Jan 9th for a situation with my stbx and my son. My son called me at work screaming and hysterical. I worked as a receptionist is a dental/medical clinic and was in the front. Well, because he was hysterical and threatening to run away because he said DH was yelling and screaming at him I had to raise my voice so he could hear me. Then a little later DH came to my office, after it was closed and no one but myself and another nurse was there, and I told him I didnt want to discuss it and he needed to leave and wait for me in the parking lot(I have no car, it died around Christmas). He got pissed and said whatever and told me to find my own ride home. I said whatever I wasnt gonna be in the middle anymore and he had to leave. He left and screeched out of the parking lot. So according to my work, me raising my voice and stbx screaching out of the parking lot created a hostile environment that the other, cont'd

jajumommy2000

Asked by jajumommy2000 at 11:44 PM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• receptionist had to smooth over with a patient(office was open when DS called). First of all, stbx came when the office was closed and I have no control over what someone else does. Second, if DS is hysterical on the phone Im sorry but I am gonna get a little loud for him to be able to hear me and possibly calm him down. Ever since Sept when the CEO and I had an argumant and I went to my boss, she has been trying to get me out. I wrote a letter to the board of directors and gave it to one member that I know. She was shocked because she knows me and my work ethic and couldnt believe what happened. She actually asked me if I was gonna sue over wrongful termination, lol. I am just worried because I had my interview last Monday and the hearing officer seemed to take my works side and said I should have gone to another phone to speak with my DS. Again, sorry but if DS is hysterical I will not put him on hold. So, thoughts?
    jajumommy2000

Answer by jajumommy2000 at 11:50 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• well, i'm not sure if you will win your case. As unfair as it is, bring in your personal life to your work can lead to termination.. again, I'm not saying that it is fair, but that's the way most offices work. Personally, I would deal with your SO and get something worked out so this situation never happens again.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:27 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Oh no, he moved out and we are divorcing. He is pissed because he doesnt think he did anything wrong but for me if my DS thinks its bad enough to want to run away over, my DH is out! (its his step dad btw
    jajumommy2000

Answer by jajumommy2000 at 12:38 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• It depends on the rules in your state. I'm in CA and have been fired twice in a 20-year career, once for "cause." I got unemployment with no dispute from the employer. It's worth it to them to not fight because you're less likely to sue if they let you collect.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:03 AM on Feb. 2, 2009