WELL THE REASON I THINK AM LOW ON MILK IS I WILL NURSE BOTH BOOBS THEN HE WILL STILL BE HUNGRY AND START CRYING SO I HAVE TO GIVE HIM 2OZ OF FORMULA SOME TIMES AFTER HE FINISHES THE 2OZ OF FORMULA HE STILL WANTS TO EAT. MY BOOBS ARE NOT EVEN HARD THEY DONT FILL LIKE I HAVE ALOTE OF MILK. I JUST WANT TO STOP GIVING HIM THE 2OZ OF FORMULA I JUST WANT TO BREASTFEED HIM.

MSGONZALEZ

Asked by MSGONZALEZ at 12:12 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• okay. :]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:18 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I had a real hard time breast feeding as well, since I was producing so little. Eventually I got so busy with school and work and just did not have time anymore for it. My child seems to be doing great, pasting all the average milestones very early.
    biyo49

Answer by biyo49 at 12:39 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• STOP GIVING THE FORMULA.

And stop expecting him to stop acting hungry. He's merely doing his job. **grin** They're bottomless pits.

Put him to breast, leave him there as long as he wants to be there, absolutely NO timing. You serve at his pleasure. When he comes off on his own, burp, offer the other side, repeat. Expect to be nursing quite a long time. It's fine. You won't run out. Milk is made while you nurse.

Stop by the Breastfeeding Moms Group for more help. But the good news is that you don't have a supply problem...you're just perceiving that you are. Babies often take bottles merely becaus they're offered.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:09 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Stop with forumula.

Make sure you get plenty of fluids in you as dehydration can decrease supply.

Your boobs will seem unfull and empty as you go on and on during the day...and once your supply is sorted they wont be big rocks full of milk anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My boobs have never felt hard as rocks. I have never had to give my baby formula and she is 24lbs at 14 months old. Put your baby back to breast and count how many diapers they are having a day. That is a better indication of if your child is getting what it needs. If they are having enough wet/poopie diapers a day then your baby doesn't need the formula. Supplementing is going to decrease your supply. Also its possible your baby is just wanting to satisfy the desire to suck.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 9:59 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Stop the formula. He's eating it because it is there.

If he's hungry after nursing, then just nurse again. It will bring your supply up to do so. You are never truly empty. You are making milk even as he is nursing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Stop then. Breastfeeding is supply and demand. By giving him that 2 ounces of formula at every feeding you are telling you body not to make any more milk, that your baby has had enough. He will nurse like crazy for a couple days to bring your supply back up but after that, things should be fine.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:38 AM on Feb. 2, 2009