Leaving a Cat While on Vacation

I've never had a cat before and gone on vacation. We'll leave Friday afternoon and get back Monday afternoon. What do I need to consider? How often should I ask someone to come in, if at all? Has anyone used those timed feeder doohickeys? Thanks.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:05 AM on Jul. 9, 2012 in Pets

• Nah, just have a responsible neighbor kid come over once or twice a day to check on food/water and maybe scoop out the box once a day. We were gone for 3 days during spring break and paid the neighbor $20.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:22 AM on Jul. 9, 2012

• It would be best to have someone come in at least once to make sure they were not trapped some where, the air is working, the water bowl has not been spilled or no one is sick.
    NotTooWorried

Answer by NotTooWorried at 1:13 AM on Jul. 9, 2012

• Indoor or outdoor cats? They would be fine with food, water and a litterbox for three days pending they aren't stressed and feel the need to pee/poop/scratch your stuff. If you have someone to check on them once a day would be awesome.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:08 AM on Jul. 9, 2012

• I leave 2 bowls of food (pretty full) and 2 bowls of water & fresh litter box.. I have a friend check in every 2 days if I'm going on a long trip. Once if I'm going away overnight.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 1:10 AM on Jul. 9, 2012

• I would leave him at home less stressful maybe with a radio on and just leave some food and plenty of water(and clean litter box) out and have someone check on the kitty. I know when I go away all mine do is sleep and EAT.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 7:28 AM on Jul. 9, 2012

• Growing up we had a cat who lived 18 years. She was able to get in and out of the house through a crawl space in the basement and she learned to drink water out of the toilet. For a weekend we would make sure she had plenty of dry cat food, the toilet was clean and the lids were left up. When we got home we would give her some canned cat food, but she really didn't like it. She was fine the whole time.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:28 AM on Jul. 9, 2012

• Have two our three clean litter boxes and more than enough food left out fo the cat. Leave the water drip into a bowl in the bath tub or have an automatic waterer. If you do these things your cat should be fine for three to four days.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:11 AM on Jul. 9, 2012

• obviously leave the air on.
    Dardenella

• Indoor cat. Tends to want to eat more food than he should. There are birds, they are in secure cages so he can't get them, but with no one to yell at him, he might torment them. Never left him before, but he has been re-homed to us, so not sure how history would affect him. Would it be better to take him with food and water, etc, to someone ellse's house?
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 1:19 AM on Jul. 9, 2012

• when my parents are on vacation someone checks the cats every 2 days. we put out 2 bowls of food for each and 2 bowls of fresh water each. other than they they are good to go. my sister must do the litter cause they never ask me to on my days lol.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:20 AM on Jul. 9, 2012