how can you help your child start to sit up

my son is almost 6 monhs

prettypicses

Asked by prettypicses at 6:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I put a stack of pillows behind my son. It helped him to strengthen his muscles so he could sit up unassisted. Also you could just sit on the floor with him and hold on to his hands and sing to him or play a game. My son enjoyed that too!!
    gavinsma07

Answer by gavinsma07 at 6:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• What I'm doing with my 3 month old ( since she's already beginning to try ) is sit her at an incline, and she'll sit up from there cause she'd rather be in a sit-up position..Another thing you can do is have him grab onto your thumbs and hold his hands and barely assist in him pulling himself up using your hands as leverage. That always worked well with all 3 of my girls.
    Lovingwife2pj02

Answer by Lovingwife2pj02 at 7:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Indeed, I think sitting up happens around 6 months. If he is well beyond this, then doublecheck what his lifestyle has been. Don't confine him. It is so common these days to see babies strapped into their carriers or in strollers instead of being carried in their parents' arms: in addition to being deprived of the affection of being hugged a lot, their bodies are immobilized. When he's not being carried, let him freely move so that he can gain more command over his body and also strengthen his muscles. Make sure he can roam about the room you're in, rolling, crawling, scooching, whatever. It might be less convenient than confining him: there are many gadgets on the market for parents to avoid handling their children and letting them experience constant affection. But a couple of years of devoted attention gives your child a lifetime of wholesomeness!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• get a boppy pillow! it was the best invention ever when i got tired of holding my baby all the time....they are generally advertised as for breastfeeding, but they make wonderful props for babies learning to sit up. even when my son learned to sit on his own, he still loved sitting in it!
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 8:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My son didn't sit well until he was 7 months. It was during this month that he also learned to crawl and began cruising around like a pro, in a month! Please don't get caught up in the crazy hype of development. He will learn when he wants, you don't have to 'teach' him. They figure it out on their own eventually.
    luvr4ula

Answer by luvr4ula at 8:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• you could use a boppy pillow or a bumbo seat helps strength there back & lots of pillows while they tripod hold themselves up with their hands in front of them. just keep working on it for 15-20 mins intervals they'll get the hang of it
    stylingmami

Answer by stylingmami at 1:32 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• the bumbo seat is awesome. my son didn't liek it at first, but now he loves it. he is a pro at almost 6 months. the seat suports them but also makes them sit up and strengthen their muscles.
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 4:38 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I used my bobby, sat them in the middle with a toy hanging above them they would try to get it and build up the muscles to sit.
    Cyndi310

Answer by Cyndi310 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 20, 2008