dilating

so im pretty sure im in the early labor stage
but when i called my doula she asked if i was dilated at all and my doc has not chacked for that yet so idk
and the ni called the l&d cuz my doula told me to and again they asked if i was dilated or not
im 37 weeks
is it bad that i aint been checked yet??????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My doctor already started checking me at my 31 week appointment. With my others I didn't get checked until 36 weeks.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 12:35 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• No-- it might be common, but certainly unnecessary.
    I was never checked prenatally with my pregnancies.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:35 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• even if you werent dilated, it still means you can go into labor... dilating or not being dilated doesnt mean you cant go into labor at that time..... if that makes sense. what else did the L&D say? did they tell you to go in? or no? i would go in anyway if i thought i was in labor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I was checked at 36 weeks...so I dont know. I guess all doctors are different
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:40 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I was checked with my dd after 36 weeks but vaginal exams are not necessary, nor do they have any indication on when you will/wont go into labor so no, it's not bad at all that you haven't been checked! In fact it's a good thing.

There is no need to go to labor and delivery for contractions, not unless they are consistent. Have you timed them?
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I should add that I wont be checked, at all, with this one.
    celticreverie

• I wasn't checked until my due date. It doesnt really matter either way. Being dialated doesnt necessarily mean that youre in labor or even going to be in labor within the next few days.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:53 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Nope. I wasn't checked in my last pregnancy until I asked to be. I was 41 weeks and 3 days.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 1:05 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• And I agree, dialation means nothing. I was high and closed the day I went into labor. I've never dialated or effaced or even dropped before labor started.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 1:08 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I haven't been checked yet either I am 36 weeks 4 days. I have an appt. this week ( right at 37 weeks) I am hoping the Dr. Checks and strips my Membranes to get me going. I'm sick of being in all of this pain!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 AM on Feb. 2, 2009