Oh, my mother!

I think my mother has completely lost her mind! She's just not the same person. I was never allowed to listen to loud music, watch tv or movies that were violent or had much cussing. I am 22. I have a 7 yr old sister, and an 11 yr old sister, and a 16 yr old brother. 7 yr old of course, gets away with murder, and her favorite song is "Animals" or whatever by Nickleback. She's a headbanger, she's blonde and adorable, but has no limits. The 11 yr old is snotty, bad-mouthed, and refuses to do as she is asked. Even if it were going to benefit her. 16yr old brother gets a speeding ticket, 92 in a 70mph zone... dad went to take his keys, and mom said, "Gee, THAT's REALLY helping ME out. Now I get to drive his happy ass back and forth to school!"

How can I help my mom to understand that the kids don't act appropriately and they're flat embarrassing? She's a never-wrong, and a devil's advocate...

matobe

Asked by matobe at 1:41 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It is pretty selfisn of her because truth be told, many rules are put into place for the parents convienience! So, if she had alot of rules for you it makes sense that she doesnt care if your children act like brats. It isnt inconvienient for her. Remind her that it is an issue for you and find a way to make her have to help deal with the issue or at least have to hear about it until its a real pain in the a**!
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 7:46 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Sounds like your dad needs to man up and take control of your Mom's "happy ass." She's the one who needs discipline!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• From experience, all I can say is...good luck...and... Be thankful that you had discipline. Don't cater to her "never wrong" attitude, and don't always be the one to step in and make things right. Let her clean up her own messes and face her own consequences. You're young...stop this now...or you'll be very sorry when you are 30...40...
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 11:29 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• sounds like ur mom is just tired .she is to tired to fight with them .
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 12:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• New moms are usally the ones who say "oh my child is..." and goes on to some rediculous thing like potty trained at 11mo or never watches tv.I figure after 22 years mom is about ready to throw in the towel. With such a crazy age range and everything maybe if she could some how recharge herself.I mean think about it most moms are done with the main mommy jobs of a family in 20 yrs maybe 25 moms got awhile to go and just could use a break so she can sit back and realy see whats up.
    Can you take her to lunch and ask her if thier is anythiung you can do cause you are worried about her and your siblings?
    mamamom431

Answer by mamamom431 at 2:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My mom has taken on a new boyfriend and kicked my dad out of the house. They've been married 18 years, and she's so caught up in trying to be "Mom of the Year" with showing up to all the ballgames at the high school, even though her son is a wrestler.

My mom and I went out Friday night to play pool at a little bar/grille thing here in town. She told me, "The one thing I did wrong with you kids was not take you to have fun enough." I mean, she knows and acknowledges the fact that my siblings behave poorly, but if she tells them to do something and they say no, she throws her hands in the air and drops it. That leaves it up to me to make sure their shoes get picked up off the kitchen floor and make it to their rooms. (I'm pregnant and have tripped more than once on their CRAP laying around.)

My dad's the one that has stepped up, like I said above, he was going to take the keys... mom undermines him, so he gives up when
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 4:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• she's home. She says he's too harsh. But I don't feel that when a 7 yr old yells down the hallway, "I F*ing HATE YOU MOMMY!" and slams her door, that it's entirely appropriate. I know if I had EVER said that, no, you know what? I NEVER would have said that for fear of the consequences!

I'm just not sure when she's going to see it, and it's sent me to the MW twice now because of the stress. I talk to her about it, and the next morning it seems I'm in the hospital. And I'm only living here for now because my husband works out of Oklahoma and is gone 6 days at a time, then home for 3, and my OB is here in KS. Since I had my last contractions episode last Sunday, he asked me to stay here until I felt better... WELL... then my bout this morning, it's because I find this to be a really poisonous environment.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 4:57 PM on Feb. 2, 2009