Picky eater and school?

My son is starting Headstart next month and I was wondering how do I deal with him being a very picky eater. I do not want him at school and not eating all day because it is something he doesnt like. I hav been trying to break the habit of being a extreme picky eater but it hasnt worked he really only eats about 4 or 5 things. We always try to offer him other things, and everyone has always told me offer it and if he doesnt eat it then do not give in and feed him something you know he will eat. We have tried this and he REALLY went days with out eating and lost some weight, the Dr have given him meds to make him hungery but he will sitill refuse to eat unless it is something he likes! So now I am worried abouthow he is going to do at school.

SkylaReneeMom

Asked by SkylaReneeMom at 5:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's possible that starting headstart will open him up to new things. He'll see the other kids eating it, and it will be offered by caretakers other than you. It really is amazing how much kids progress when around new people and other kids.
    I would just keep open communication with his teachers, they should be informing you of his daily habits anyway, and if they're concerned, they'll let you know.
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 5:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2012

• I know my daughter that is older trys to encourge him to eat new things and we have even noticed that our 20 month old will offer him his food! So I am hoping that being around others will get him eating more! I just do not want him going all day with out eating
    SkylaReneeMom

Comment by SkylaReneeMom (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2012

• I agree that when new people are in charge, he might change his ways. Give it a shot before you worry too much about it. If he doesn't eat at school for a week or two, then figure something else out. Also, when he sees other kids trying things, it might be encouragement, too.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2012

• I have been there and done that with the not wanting to try something new with my DD. She ended up with the same meal offered for 4 different meals before she gave in and ate it. We haven't really had an issue since b/c she doesn't like going hungry.

I say give it a little time and let him become used to his new surroundings and he will learn new habits.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2012

• Ludvik_smith is absolutely right. Kids do eat better with other kids. It's like a game for them. Play together, work together, eat together.
    So who knows, maybe that'll be a positive thing for you after all. Good luck! :)
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 7:57 PM on Jul. 9, 2012

• He will eat at school.. i thought the same with my ds but at school he was a different kid
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 6:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2012

• He'll see the other kids eating it
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 11:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2012