How would you handle this situation?

About a week before my husband's birthday his sister called me and said she and her mom wanted to through him a family party and wanted to see if we could have it at our house. They would make the food, cake, and decorations and bring them to my house. I said yes. A few days later they asked if I could make the cake so they would have one less thing to bring over. I said yes. Two days before the party they asked if I could also make the food and they would bring the cake. I am still pretty new to their family and want them to like me so reluctantly I agreed. So the day of the party my SIL calls my husband and asks what kind of cake he would like them to buy. Less than an hour before the party was supposed to begin SIL calls up my husband and tells him they won't be coming because his mom has allergies. Just regular watery eyes, sneezing allergies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• No one even calls to apologize to me. I had spent the last two days cleaning and cooking to get ready for this party and that was nearly impossible considering we have a three month old. So SIL her husband and four kids, BIL, two uncles, and grandpa did not come because of MIL's allergies! They claim they would give him his gifts later, but a week has gone by (and we have seen them twice) and no gifts have materialized. Fortunatly, my family lives nearby also and they showed up with cake and gifts after I called and told them in-laws weren't coming. My family was NOT invited in the first place. I seems like in-laws don't care at all about my feelings. This was a party they were supposed to be giving to my husband.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I honestly wouldnt worry about your feelings...sorry, but think of how your husband feels after his family did this to HIM.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:50 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• OP here- Mikayla lynn you are absolutely right. That is also another part of this that has been very upsetting. Just to see the disapointment in his face when they informed him they weren't showing made me so sad for him. I should have mention that aspect in my OP, but I had already wrtten so much, it seemed way too long of a post.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• You should have celebrated they didn't come! Heck you got clean house, food, a cake. Heck you should have stripped down buck naked and hollered surprise that look of disappointment for not showing up to his party would have turned into a thank you card to dear ole mom and SIL. Don't worry if they like you or not in fact the less they like you the less you have to deal with them they won't be as likely to impose on you, my monster in law and I have a love hate relationship that works great she hates me and I love that she doesn't bother me lol! Turn any bad situation like that into something positive you will look like an angel to your hubby and trust me that gift would beat that pack of underwear she got him! :)
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 2:20 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Don't sweat them. Welcome to the club. The inlaws can be something, but don't ever let them get inbetween you and you rman. Sometimes , its worse than another woman!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• That really sux, but they sound like they are a bunch of children trying to be adults. I wouldn't worry about them, worry about your hubby and show him that even if they are jerks, YOU love him, and you have your own family together now.. mom and dad, can act like children all they want because you have each other. And it sounds like your family is at least loving, maybe he will become closer to yours.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:24 AM on Feb. 2, 2009