Questions about surrogacy

I am not a mom yet (although I can't wait to be one someday) but the reason that I found this web site is because my mom and stepfather have been together for almost 8 years now and they want to have a child of their own. The only problem with this is my mom had cancer and had to have her uterus removed. They had a surrogate mother in mind and they went to all the necessary appts and what not. But today they found out that she had backed out on them[>:( ]. My question is is if I am 17 years old (legal adult in the state of Texas) would I be able by law to be a surrogate?? Please it really kills me to see my parents this distraught and I want to do this there is no pressure from them; I know how important this is to them and I want to do anything I can to help. Thank you in advance :D
-Heather Rieger

hopefulheather5

Asked by hopefulheather5 at 2:05 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• If you want to, then you can. There is no reason why you cant.
    Is the woman who backed out on them already prego? Is it with your moms egg or step fathers sperm...if so I think it is illegal for her to back out...
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:09 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Good Daughter.. You are so nice to think to do this for you parents.. I don't see why not but Im not familiar with the that issue here in Tx.. On the other hand, as a mother I would not want to put my 17 yr old through this. But everyone is different. I hope you can help them or at least find a way to help them.. The reason I respond is because I have a cousin that hasn't been able to get pregnant and I offered to be a surrogate but she has not made a decision if they want to even go into this surrogacy yet. Well Good Luck.
    Barbara144

Answer by Barbara144 at 2:10 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• also google it. I was looking into doing this for a couple...not family, through an agency. And I found some good sites with the laws and all that so I would google it
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:11 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• It is nice of you to want to do this, but have you thought of the ick factor in carrying your stepfather's baby? Your parents may not want you to do this.

There are so many kids out there in need of a loving home. Why not adopt?
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 2:23 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Most will have wanted you to graduate high school first and go through a few counseling sessions, just to be sure your of sound mind. Other than that your good to go, just beware that they don't only put one embryo in there they will most likely put three in there and hope one attaches. You may have to go through more test than the other woman because your young and no one is sure you can carry and baby in the first place. Lots of family members carry babies for each other and there is no ick factor for them. I can imagine it being weird for you to give birth to your sibling but, at least you'll have a story to tell your children one day! Good luck w/ your decision. The only other advice I have is go straight to your mom and SD about this and don't use an agency.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:44 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Oh thats so sweet of you. You obviously honor your mother greatly. I offered to do this for my sil. I hope she knew I was serious and I wasn't just joking but they adopted some very beautiful kids. I would be concerned about your age. Your body is really too young to go through this. You will have to go through invitro and pregnancy is just hard. Being that your a minor, its not likely they will allow you to do this and also you must consider the emotional toll this will take on your mind. Having a baby is hard to even the most stable mature mom, but its a lot harder for a teen. I don't think there is an ick factor to carrying your parents baby. Its perfectly fine, but I think I would wait until your older. Maybe in that time, she will have considered adoption. Its a wonderful process and there are many kids that would fit your family just fine. International adoption is a great process too. Good luck in whatever you decide.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:50 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Thank you to all of you who answered this question so far. I just thought that I would add a few details judging by some of your responses. I have already graduated high school (when I was 16) and we all have a stable family relationship. The woman who backed out is our cousin and it's not the fact that she backed out that bothers me it's that my parents didn't ask her; she volunteered to help. And I have no problem carrying this child for my parents because I know how badly they want this and after all my mom brought me into this world and hasn't asked for anything in return so I am volunteering to help them because I know how happy this would make my parents. I would still like to hear from more of you please this is a big thing that I want to do for them but there is nothing more in the world that I would like to do for them..
    hopefulheather5

Answer by hopefulheather5 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I think your reasoning is good, and it will give you a strong connection with the baby. So I say if you want to do it then do it. I dont know how to go about doing it so I would get a hold of a doctor or someone who can help with that...just be warned that you will feel a STRONG connection to the baby, so be prepared for all the emotional bond. And I would also recommend counseling before and after to make sure this is something that you will be able to follow through with
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 7:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• all i can say is wow...you know its up to you sweet heart if you are willing to do this, not everyone would agree, but i think this is real special and for the daughter to do this for her mom and step dad, so as long as you are cool with it and your mom is ok with it, go ahead and do it...good luck sweetie. i hope you keep us informed for i think this is a wonderful thing your doing.
    mommy19741974

Answer by mommy19741974 at 7:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• that is so wonderful of you to think of doing that. from what i've read, most clinics say you have to be at least 21 and have had healthy births before. but maybe it is different where you live, or maybe there are exceptions! goodluck!
    jodilee10

Answer by jodilee10 at 9:38 PM on Nov. 7, 2010