• In the Spotlight:

Why did you not breastfeed?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 2:28 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• "i feel so guilty when i look at him now knowing that he never had my antibodies"

Angelmomma2 you should never feel guilty about making a choice that you believe is to the best benefit for your child! As parents we are faced with a lot of hard decisions for our children. You made a judgement call, and it was probably the right one. IF your moods were out of control while breast feeding you could have been lost over the edge. You made a choice to be a Mom who is in control. I know my moods dip when I have let down while breast feeding. If I felt that it was a serious problem, or if I had a history of bipolar disorder you can bet I'd do the same thing. Don't let that guilt get you. You did what you knew was right for your baby. You can still be the best mom by fighting those infections now.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:52 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• The mere thought of it made me uncomfortable.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 2:30 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I started to but had to stop because my blood presure was so high and when i did BF my blood presure went through the roof and they had to rush me to the er a couple of the times
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• FIrst time I tired. Each session was a battle with my son to get him to latch properly. We worked with 4 different LCs - still every time was a battle. I made the decision that I'd rather cuddle my son and bond with him than fight him each feeding session. Could we have worked it out? Probably but it wasn't worth the frustration and wedge between the two of us to push it. He's a brillant, healthy little boy despite the very minimal exposure to breastmilk. (I did try to pump but got nothing for the effort.)

My 2nd nursed for 5 months. When I went back to work part-time she refused the boob and would only take the bottle. I pumped until I couldn't produce enough to sustain her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I breastfed for 3 months. I stopped because I was so stressed out I knew my baby was getting stressed too. You have to be very calm while breastfeeding. I was working full time and going to nursing school. I just couldn't handle it. I had to pump so much it hurt. I'd rather spent the time playing with my daughter. I was also supplementing with formula which caused me to dry up quicker. I did regret stopping but I'm almost done with nursing school and will be able to provide for my daughter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I tried. I just absolutely could not do it. He latched, I had gallons of milk...that wasn't a problem. I couldn't handle the sharp stabbing pains that shot through my breast with each suck, I didn't want to be around him, in the same room with him...I would bawl every time he cried because I knew the severe pain was going to be there again. I was miserable, he was miserable.

The lactation specialist I was working with told me to take a couple of days and give him formula to give myself a break. I never looked back. I finally bonded with him, loved him, wanted to hold him...

The thought of me breastfeeding sends me into a panic attack.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• im bipolar and with the first kid i tried to for six weeks but my mood was getting out of control so i thought a happier mom was more important and he'd already had my best of anti bodies. with my second he wouldnt suckle to begin with ,and cos i'd had severe anti natal depression since 3 months preg, i just wanted to get bak on some hard core mood stabilisers and feel right again (i couldnt take my normal meds whilst pregnant) my postnatal depression carried on for another year so i wander if there was anypoint in rushing bak on them. i feel so guilty when i look at him now knowing that he never had my antibodies, hes two now and has suffered with infections since 3 months old. i wish i had just gave him two weeks of the gud stuff but i cant turn bak time... and i know of other kids who were breatfed and they still suffer from infections anyhow..... but i wish i cud just go bak and give him tat two weeks...
    angelmomma2

Answer by angelmomma2 at 5:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My son and daughter were born early, and had to be in the hospital for a while. Both developed nipple confusion, and would only drink from a bottle. I wanted to breast feed, but I pumped. BOth got breast milk for a bout two to three weeks, then my breasts dried up on their own, and they had to go to formula.
    MONATANKGIRL

Answer by MONATANKGIRL at 6:13 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• isnt up to 6 months an adequate amount anyhow?
    angelmomma2

Answer by angelmomma2 at 6:28 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I tried with both of my boys. But, I was so uncomfortable with it combined with the fact that they were sick. That my mind and body just couldn't handle it anymore. I was having to feed them almost every 1/2 hr to an hr. We switched to formula when my oldest was about 4weeks and the youngest was a week old.
    jcsg

Answer by jcsg at 6:55 AM on Feb. 2, 2009