Anyone know anything about electric heating & Energy???

Ok so we live in a our house that is 1380 Square ft. Our electric bill is sky-rocketting. It went from 150...to 300 in 3 months. Its a brand new house all electric. I do nothing different now than I did 3 months ago. I obviously use the heater a tad bit more. But nothing like our electric bill is. We conserve energy, we do dont have lights on or things plugged in unless we ARE in the room. We noticed tonight that our heater kicks on and off sparatically. We heard it outside the window.. like its spazzing out. Im wondering theres something that can go wrong and cause the heater to put out too much?? Any advice would be appreciated!

misswhite

Asked by misswhite at 2:41 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Yes, there are several things to look at. What type of furnace is it? Is the thermostat on the furnace broken? What is your heat set to? Your furnace is supposed to kick on and off according to the heat specs. Where do you live? Do you have an outside unit? Is it covered with snow? Where are your return ducts located? Do you have coverings over the windows? Do you have vaulted ceilings? Did your price of electricity go up?
    Contact the electric company and see if they charge to have someone come evaluate your house.
    Good luck...
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Dont know what kind of furnace I think its energy star?, It is outside..not covered with snow. Living in kiefer OK. We do have vaulted ceilings..we have it set on 67 due to the high bill..normally we like it around 70-73. Our ducts.. ones in the hallway, the other one is in the kitchen. I dont think theres anything wrong with our thermostat. Its digital and set on Energy Saving. soo lol maybe the energy saving broke to energy spending!! ha.
    misswhite

Answer by misswhite at 2:57 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• The FURNACE is in our Attic. if that helps at all. Me and hubby are clueless..
    misswhite

Answer by misswhite at 2:58 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• It sounds like a heat pump. I(There is an indoor part and an outdoor part.) s it unusually cold there? If you like your heat up that high the furnace will kick on and off continuously trying to maintain that temperature. Usually the electric company will look into it for free, just to see if there is a problem. I recommend calling them. My husband installed heating and air for a number of years and we had a business doing that. I am only speaking from my experience and limited knowledge. Good luck.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:12 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• It is normal for electric bills to skyrocket in the winter. I don't know your climate, but where I live we have had an unusually cold winter. 10 - 17 below zero last week. The heaters can't even keep up and we have to supplement with a wood stove.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 3:56 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Its most likely a heat pump and its intended to kick on and off to keep the temp at what you have it set at. When its very cold outside, it will be on more than off and its normal for you to not really notice until the bill comes in. That means its doing its job to keep the house at a stable temp. I am not even on all electric and my bill went from 128 to 214 in one month. Its just so cold outside. This month should be better. My gas bill is another story entirely!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:22 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• That is kind of what my elecctric bill did. It was @150-180, and then the last couple of months because it has been a lot colder it has been anywhere from $290-305.00. And we live in a double wide mobile home. I wante to scream when i got the last bill.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Feb. 2, 2009