What to do with your kids when your not feeling well?

If you are sick(under the weather, ill, not feeling good) do you get someone to watch your kids for you so that you can get better? Someone other than your spouse? I mean just because your sick, it still means your a mom, and should still have to take care of your children, right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• The boys are sitting in front of the TV this morning and I'm sitting in my chair trying not to puke on the laptop.

As soon as my stomach settles a bit more, I'll go finish the last load of laundry. (I did two loads already, picked up the living room and vacuumed in between bathroom runs) I wash and sanitize my hands after every bathroom trip and again before fixing their food.

They're still in their pajamas, I called the school and said they wouldn't be in (ain't NO way I'm getting in a moving vehicle!!!), and I'm waiting patiently for nap time this afternoon......

I don't have anyone to come get them, help with them or stay with them. I'm it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:11 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Depends. If I am sick with something like the flu, I try to get help if I really need to rest. But since I am sick all the time from chronic illness, I have learned to cope with aches pains and colds without help from outside. I usually have a "read to mom day" or quiet play or movie day. Just depends on our needs as a family. Just remember, NOONE will judge you for watching movies all day if you are sick. (I dare 'em.)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:52 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• If I am really sick my husband will stay at home with me, but before the kids all were in school they just stayed at home with me.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 3:16 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• If I'm that sick, then hubby will stay home or he will take them to an older friend's house for the day. That has happened once to me when I had intestinal flu....I thought I was going to die and there was no way I could have taken care of two 1yr olds. If I have a cold, or allergies, or something like that...then no, they just stay home with me. I had a migraine the other day and could barely open my eyes...they had movie day with low volume lol! while I rested on the couch with them.
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 4:22 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• The last time I was sick with the flu I had a temp of 102. I had the oldest put a baby gate up in the living room and we all hung out in the living room until I felt better. I was glued to the sofa while the kids played and watched tv for 2 days. Dh was at work. The only time someone left the room was to go potty. (bathroom is right next to the living room.) My eldest (11 at the time) helped out by getting food & drink for everyone. Sandwiches, snacks, cereal...I was so thankful) This was how we survived, I was totally out of it. Thankfully, on day 3 dh was home and took me to the er and I got meds for strep. You can manage on your own but I think it's better if you can get help from family. If you can get it take it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I only ever have my dad and husband to help with the kids. If I'm sick I watch them when my husband is at work. If my dad isn't sick he'll take them off my hands for awhile or maybe cook dinner but otherwise I do everything. It doesn't matter how sick I am I still do everything. Even when my husband is home I still do the cooking and stuff. I've had tonsillitis before and was in excruciating pain (causing me to cry every time I swallowed) and I still did everything for the kids. My husband worked doubles for days and my dad refused to watch them at all back then (they were all toddlers). So I was on my own.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:35 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I have very rarely ever had someone to help me. I have to just BE sick. If I am ill to the point that I can't get up, then my mother will come help but my kids are old enough now to fend for themselves and take care of each other. In rare cases, my dh will stay home, but if I am able to function at all, then I get no help.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:18 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Unless I am so sick I can't get out of bed I still take care of my kids but my husband helps and I also have a 15yr old that will pitch in and help me.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:23 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• depends on how sick i am but as long as i dont have to be hospitalized my daughter has all my attention all day she just has to be patient with me cause i move alot slower when im sick
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 9:31 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I am usually by myself so I have to deal. MOVIE DAY!
    If I 'm so bad I can not leave the house usually one of the inlaws will get me soup , soda, whatever I need and bring it to my house. my father in law might take my DD somewhere so I can sleep.
    When I tore my miniscus , my mom and dad had to come from an hour and a half away because I couldn't get off the couch and my doc couldn't see me till the next day (lucky it wasn't more serious). I didn't want my inlaws to have to take off of work, so they got the duty (mom and dad are retired).
    Misscami71

Answer by Misscami71 at 11:39 AM on Feb. 2, 2009