Can I do this again, after so long?

I'm 26 yr old mother of one (pregnant with second) . My first baby came along @42 weeks weighing just over six lbs, aside from the petocin (spelling) I did it naturally. Now I know natural childbirth is not for everyone and I believe that a mother should make the best informed decision for herself and her baby without being ridiculed by other mothers. But I so want to use no pain management, besides breathing and massage, with this baby as well. But my first was born 6 yrs ago and this baby is estimated to weigh 8-9 lbs already! I'm so scared that I'm not going to be able to do it this time. Any advice?

native.mommy

Asked by native.mommy at 9:18 AM on Jul. 10, 2012 in Pregnancy

• A nine pound baby hurts as much going through the birth canal as a six pound baby.
    Remember pain management, during childbirth, is relatively new- if millions of women did it for thousands of years, you can too.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:22 AM on Jul. 10, 2012

• All of my girls were 9-10 pounds and when I had them we weren't given the option of pain control, other than morphine. All of mine were born vaginally with no issues. As Feral says, women have been giving birth much longer without pain control than with.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 9:24 AM on Jul. 10, 2012

• You do what you want to do! It's your choice. I have been through births both ways. 2 Natural & 1 epidural. Just b/c women have been doing things a certain way for years, does not mean we should not take advantage of the modern medicine available to us today. And actually, it was common practice back when I was born for women to be given a "saddle block."  Having my own personal experiences made me appreciate my epidural guy & wished I would've done it for all 3!  :p 

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:57 AM on Jul. 10, 2012

• I agree, you do it your way! My best friend had a c-section with her first. Her second, she had an at home delivery with a mid-wife. She said she much preferred her at home birth and really never wants to go to the hospital to deliver another child again (unless an emergency were to arise, of course).

I've been thinking about going with no pain killers with this child, but I have a feeling that the contractions are going to make my arthritis in my hips act up, and that I can't handle!

So, my suggestion, play it by ear. If it gets too much for you to handle, see if that can be an option further along in the delivery.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 10, 2012

• Also do not put too much credit in the size, they can be off by quite a bit.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:25 AM on Jul. 10, 2012

• you have done it before, so you know you are able to. my first baby was born at 42 weeks, weighed 9 pounds 8 ounces, and i had no drugs. every baby after that was easier because i knew the basics of what to expect (how it would feel, etc). you can do it, and you know you can, if you are determined to have a natural labor/birth. best wishes!
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 2:21 PM on Jul. 10, 2012