Please Help...Don't know what to do

I am a babysitter for a 6 year old little boy. I am also a 28 year old woman so I am not your typical teenage babysitter. This little boy has been lying...they are not big lies it is things such as I don't remember what mom said (or you) Or he will tell me...I was going to pause the game so I could take out the trash when he had just started a new game. He was told to take out the trash yesterday after breakfast. He was playing a game while eating, his game got over, he was done with breakfast and he started a new game. I said what were you suppose to do "I don't remember" take out the trash I say. Oh yeah...I was going to pause my game, no he wasn't I am not stupid. His lies are not hurting anyone but they are still lies. His mom would spank him. I will not spank for the mere fact I don't believe in spanking and he is not my child. Time out does not seem to work for him. Just now as I typed this I told him not to look at his library book while eating breakfast and he didn't listen. I guess a time out is worth a try but he doesn't do good with those either. He would sit and stare at the tv all day if I (0r his mom) let him. His mom will let him I won't. He would also play video games on the times that he isn't watching tv...she has limited him to 2 hours a day of games. I am at a loss for what I can do. I can't spank him as he isn't mine and time outs don't work for him. When I was younger I had a problem with lying also and my mom washed my mouth out with soap. I learned not to lie however I run into the problem he isn't my kid. His mom is a single mom and the dad isn't in the picture. She lets him get away with a lot of stuff. I truly believe that he is acting this way in part becasue of how she raises him but that makes it hard as a babysitter. What can I do? I have talked to the mom and she doesn't offer help as far as solutions other than don't send him to his room because he will just play. So I am asking all of you...I am at the point I don't want to come babysit him anymore which is sad becasue he can be such a fun little boy....

Jesuslives84

Asked by Jesuslives84 at 10:01 AM on Jul. 10, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Lying is normal at that age; it's actually a sign of social development. If you catch him in a lie, just call him on it.
    For the other things: How about you turn off the TV until he does his chores? How about removing the library book until he's done eating (and for X amount of time afterward, if he repeatedly violates the rule)?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:07 AM on Jul. 10, 2012

• Find his interests beyond TV and video games. Go to the Library, parks, museums, community events, whatever you can find. If you can find his passions you can get him busy on things he likes. As far as the lying, it is pretty typical at this age. A busy child is a happier child and there is less problems. Just keep going and showing him love. All you can do is to let him know lying is not good. Read him the story of "The Boy That Cried Wolf" every time he lies.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:08 AM on Jul. 10, 2012

• http://www.babycenter.com/0_lying-why-it-happens-and-what-to-do-about-it_67698.bc 

That is info on why they lie- and what to do

***********

As far as him forgetting to do the trash- kids that age need to be reminded, I think they sort of live in the moment and it is easy for them to forget.  I would say jsut have him do it NOW then go back to the game. Don't let him tell you how he will do it later...OR when that game is over-remind him before he starts something new.

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:15 AM on Jul. 10, 2012

• Sounds more like he's making excuses for his lack of cooperation. I would change the structure of how you do things a little. Like if he is to help w/ chores after breakfast, then he does that before he gets to play his game. I do like the idea of introducing other activities & the reminders to be honest.This is a life lesson he needs to learn, whether he's w/ you or at school.  If you really think the missing male figure in his life is a factor, do you have a close friend or family member who she would approve of as a male influence?  Or maybe the Big Brother program? 

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:17 AM on Jul. 10, 2012

• you do not have to allow him to watch tv, play video games when he is with you are not obeying directives or lying for that matter. you can take away his fun stuff till he does what he is supposed to and tows the line, but when he breaks it again, he loses it again for longer . you should keep mild track of his behavior and lies. and after a few weeks show this to his mother and tell her your concern.
    Starburst72

Answer by Starburst72 at 10:54 AM on Jul. 10, 2012

• Put the game up and do not let him play it except when you specifically say so. All you problems seem to be centered around the game.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2012

• I would "forget" where I put his game until he remembers to do his chores
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 4:10 AM on Jul. 14, 2012

• Go to the Library, parks, museums, community events, whatever you can find
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 2:16 AM on Jul. 28, 2012