drinking... .. .

do you like to drink alcohol? do you feel you can still be a "good parent" AND have a little fun?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I don't see anything wrong with responsible drinking (ie not around the kids, one glass of wine with dinener) I personally don't drink, but yes you can be a "good parent" and have fun, but you can also have fun withoutdrinking.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 5:33 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• i dont see a reason to drink. i can have fun without alcohol.

i do not drink at all. never did and never will.

my grandmothers husband was an alcoholic. he was beating her to death when he was drunk. thats probably why i despise alcohol
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:30 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• There is no reason you cannot have a drink or two now and then. I do on occasion. It's got nothing to do with being a good parent, unless of course you're an alcoholic or a mean drunk, or drinking and driving. Drink responsibly, and not only do you have some fun, but you set a good example.

My father has never even tasted alcohol. His step father was an alcoholic, so he chose not to drink. But he doesn't judge people who do, and my mom likes a glass of wine or a white wine spritzer now and then.

Anyone who says you're a bad parent if you have a drink or two is insecure about their own ability to parent or their inability to control their drinking...either way, it's their problem, not yours. And I'm sure you're smart enough to know you can have fun without drinking, as has been pointed out, but that wasn't your question, was it? :)
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 7:11 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I dont see an issue if you have a beer or glass of wine every once and awhile. I do think its wrong to drink to get drunk on a regular basis when you have kids. Its taking away from your parenting time, money from your budget you can spend on them, and isnt good for a child to know a parent is drunk often.

Answer by gemgem at 7:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I am not a big drinker at all, but I do like to have an occasional drink with friends. I do NOT drink in front of my kids. I did that one time and I have payed for it ever since. My kids are older and very impressionable right now at ages 14, 10 and 7 and I feel that setting an example for them is important. If I am out with all adults and we want to have a drink, then fine, but I don't do it around my kids. When my teen is older and can understand, then her and I will talk about it and I might be a bit more open with her. I did that once thinking she was plenty old enough and shes thrown it in my face ever since and I can tell it bothers her. Soo...thats where I made my decision.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:28 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• my husband and i don't drink. we have plenty of fun w/o alcohol. but if you feel the need, no, i don't think there's anything wrong with having a glass every once in a while.

just be prepared for the fact that your kids will likely follow in your footsteps. :)
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 9:19 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Drinking is stupid.

You might not drink around your kids, but they still KNOW you do and will look at it as an okay thing to do.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:04 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I love to have a glass of wine with my dinner. How would that ever make me a bad parent? I don't get drunk, ever. I don't associate alcohol with "fun." I love the pairing of flavors when you match a nice wine to a meal. I believe that teaches my children appreciation and sophistication. They will not learn to associate alcohol with social functions and "partying" from me.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 11:02 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• IhartU: It IS an okay thing to do for an adult, and my child is intelligent enough to grasp that concept. I don't have to hide it, and she has no desire to drink herself because she just doesn't like alcohol.

Drinking is not stupid. Getting drunk can be. Getting drunk while caring for small children even more so.

jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:44 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My parent's didn't drink and made a big deal about the evils of drinking when I was a teen. So guess what happened? When I left the house for college I went nuts and was raving drunk every Fri-Sun. for four years. I don't hide stuff from my family. We talk openly about it to educate them, not scare them to death or make it sound like it's so BAD! I have a drink every now and then and my family knows it's for grown-ups, not kids. They get sugar-filled soda.
    Anonymous