Up all night and sleep all morning....good or bad?

Because of my husband and I's job situation we are up all night and sleep till 1 or 2pm and we were just wondering if this will effect our son if he has the same hours? Otherwise we put him to bed for 4 hours, then wake him up for 2-5 hours, then put him back to bed untill he wakes up on his own.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I worked nights up until the June before my daughter started school. She was pretty much on the same schedule as me, she went to bed around 4am, and got up around noon. She did just fine on this schedule. I just made sure that during the entire summer before she did start school, I made the transition to sleeping at night and waking early very gradual. Of course it will vary from family to family. The important this is some sort of consistency.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 6:56 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Generally speaking, having a reversed sleeping schedule isn't really BAD but there are things you would want to think about. The baby needs sunlight for vitamin D so never getting sunlight and never going outside (to learn and play) would be bad. As long as the baby is getting those things then there probably isn't anything wrong with having an alternate schedule. Some people do this when they wish to spend more time with their family and they work nights. With babies and toddlers it isn't a big deal and generally makes life easier.
    SxdUpAngel

Answer by SxdUpAngel at 7:55 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Hmmm....I'm not sure about this one? Is he getting 12-14 hrs of sleep overall? Getting enough sleep is an important factor for his growth/development.
    When does he get to socialize with other children his age??? What does your pediatrician say? Does he seem to be functioning ok on this schedule???
    It's a bit unusual but if it's temporary I suppose there's no real harm....Do you have friends/family who could help out so that he could be on a more "traditional" wake/sleep schedule???
    I'd definitely work towards transitioning him to a more traditional schedule if you plan on sending him to pre-school in the fall.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:38 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I don't think it's bad. My daughter sleeps til 10 if we let her and stays up late, too. The only reason a lot of moms get their toddlers up early is because they have school kids that get up early, too.
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 1:38 PM on Feb. 2, 2009