Still feeding 8 month old during the night?

My daughter is 8 months old. She still wakes up twice a night for a bottle...i feed her baby food during the day and she has a bottle right before bed. At what age did you stop the night feedings and how do you stop this??

MommyOfTwo720

Asked by MommyOfTwo720 at 7:13 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son slept through the night earlier than that, but began waking up in the night around 7 1/2 months, a lot due to teething issues, however, the gummy feeling of a bottle nipple helped his gums.

The main thing that helped him sleep through the night was to have cereal just before bedtime, kind of the "midnight snack" thing. Patience, and she will sleep through the night soon.
    sizesmith

Answer by sizesmith at 7:20 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I breastfeed, and my almost-15 month old wakes 2-3 times to nurse. I personally think she is not sleeping through the night because she needs that comfort from mommy.

It has not been proven that cereal helps all babies sleep through the night. I tried that with DD, and it didn't work. She slept better for maybe the first week, and then resumed her normal feeding patterns. In fact, eating solids right before bed can sometimes cause tummy upset in a LO.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:23 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Everything that epoh said. Babies that are fed cereal do not fall asleep any faster statistically than babies that aren't fed cereal. I also breast feed, and my son STILL wakes up.. at 19 months. He wakes up for comfort.. to know I'm there, or he can't sleep, has a tummy ache, bad dream etc. He just wants to know someone is there to comfort him and help him fall asleep again. It's fairly normal.. different kids break that habit at different ages.8 months is really young to expect that in my opinion.Have you tried offering a pacifier, or a bottle of water instead? I've heard that's supposed to help.. although I really wouldn't know obviously since I'm still stuck getting up at night.

s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 8:25 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• When my son was little he would wake up in the middle of the night for a feeding even at a year. My doc said it wasn't hunger it was habit. So I switched from giving him milk to giving him plain water in the middle of the night. Once he stopped getting milk in the middle of the night he stopped waking up. It took about a week to stop the habit. If you honestly believe your little one isn't hungry then switch to water.
    norbert

Answer by norbert at 8:37 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I still feed mine during the night.

I will stop when he decides to stop and not before.

I think it is very bad to "fill" your child up just to get them to sleep longer or through the night.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 8:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My 17 mo old son still nurses during the night. All kids are different.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:36 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I breastfeed my 9 mo. old and she's been sleeping through the night since 5 mo. That's not to say there aren't phases she goes through whether teething, growth spurts, or separation anxieties where I've had to nurse her in the middle of the night. But it's my personal belief that a baby this age has the ability to sleep through the night. I agree with what norbert said about them waking out of habit. If you find your baby waking at the same time or times each night, more than likely their internal clock and not their bellies is what's telling them it's time to wake up. You don't necessarily have to fill them up right before bed but do be mindful of giving them plenty to eat throughout the day. Maybe give her an ounce more baby food at lunch and dinner or add a snack in the afternoon. Through trial and error you'll find what works best for your baby.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 11:23 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• you stop then baby no longer wants a night feeding. it's not right to try & push it.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous-i dont really understand what youre saying..but im not trying it push it at all..the doctor said that by 9 months, you shouldnt feed your baby at all during the night. i have a 2 1/2 yr old, but i breastfed her until she was 14 months and she woke up during the night then and still has trouble sleeping all night. I just thought babies arent supposed to be fed during the night when they got older..im not trying to be mean to her or anything., GEEZ people.
    MommyOfTwo720

Answer by MommyOfTwo720 at 10:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2009