epidural... cant make a decison

i just wanted to hear what some of you guys think that have had one, i watched the video and the doctor talked to me about it but im still not sure. having one scares me cause what if something goes wrong with it but then i also dont want to feel all that pain. so im stuck.
thanks

ALLIE637

Asked by ALLIE637 at 7:29 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have done both. There are pros and cons.
    The Pros are not feeling any pain or atleast not as much of the birthing pains. It doesnt hurt the way you think it does when they put it in because they usually wait until you have a contraction to put it in because our minds are focussing on that and not as much on what they are doing to our backs and they usually numb the area before putting it in.

Cons: You arent able to walk or go to the bathroom after you have the baby until it wears off. I noticed my labor was longer with an epidural in part because I couldnt feel anything so pushing took longer. There can be complications with an epi even though it is rare. I have a lipoma on my back from my last epi and it didnt take properly so only half of me was numbed. Those are the most common issues.

Answer by gemgem at 7:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I had an epidural and I think that in my situation it was the best thing for me. I too was very afraid of what could happen if they stuck it in the wrong place. When they do the epidural you can't even feel it, they put the needle into your back when you are at the peak of a contraction. I guess I would be a billboard person for the epidural because everything went very smoothly. I do agree that you cannot get up and walk around after you have one done because you can't feel anything! But that wasn't really an option for be, because I wasn't allowed leaving my bed anyhow. They stopped my epidural about 20 minutes befor I delivered, and I was able to push my baby out in 5 MIN!! It is up to the individual on whether or not you want it done. Just keep your options open. This is my 2nd pregnancy and I don't want to have any pain medicine, I want to expeirence everything naturally! Good Luck with you desicion making! =)
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 8:20 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I would say go by your labor, sostay open to the ideal but let your body tell you what it needs. I have fast labor's myself so when I decide to try the epidural it worked a littile to well , I had a hard time pushing. Now my niece had a long labor and needed it. My last one I had to have a c-section. Always be prepared
    Ianmommy4

Answer by Ianmommy4 at 8:38 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• With my first son I had the epi. I couldn't feel my legs and moving them was really hard. Pushing took me almost 2 hours I had to have the suction thing to get him out I just couldn't feel the contractions at all. I had a hard time afterwards I couldn't even walk really well the next day and had no control over my bladder. I wet the bed several times and was so embarrassed and the nurse just kept changing the bedding for me. With my second I was only in the hospital 20 minutes before he was born and didn't have anything but a local anethstetic incase of tearing. I felt great afterward I was up walking before the hour was up. They had to take the baby to the nursery to put him in the light box he was jaundice. I walked down there alot. Hubby was overseas so I liked to just stay with the baby. I am now pg with #3 and planning on another natural birth. I had energy and felt great afterwards. Good luck with your decision

SusanReeves

Answer by SusanReeves at 8:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Well if the poster above me was the billboard for how well it can go I am the billboard for how wrong it can go. It took them 4 times to get the needle in right hitting a blood vessel 3 of those times. I will say that getting the needle in didn't hurt that much, I guess they numbed me. Then as I was in surgery having my c-section it wore off before they were done and I had to be put out. I still have back pain from it to this day.

I also will be going for an unmedicated natural birth this time but for me it's more out of fear that something like what happened last time will happen again.

Most people have a perfectly fine experience with the epi, but it can go wrong. Definitely look in to the risks and benefits and maybe make a pro/con list of your own. Either way, congrats on your baby and good luck!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I had the epi with my son, and I too was scared not only of what could happen but of needles also. But I had been in a non progressive labor for so long they had to give me something to help the pain and let me sleep, the next day I had the epidural. In my situation I would not have changed it. Go with your guts, and you don't have to make the decision ahead of time, just play the epidural by ear. If it gets to bad then get it, if not then you avoided it!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:52 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Arm yourself with the knowledge to get through labor. It's natural and doesn't have to be a horrible screaming experience you see in the movies. Learn relaxation techniques and coping skills--like rocking, humming, squatting, getting in the tub or shower. Do not stay flat on your back in a hospital bed. That's the roughest way to endure contractions, move and be free, eat and drink for energy. The pushing part isn't that bad, you feel like you have something to work for and you're in control. The contractions although, painful at times, are temporary! For me the risks of drugs and epidural were too much. I'm not willing to put myself or baby at risk, for some minor relief--in some cases the epidural doesn't work for people. My husband was also a big supporter. Find a good support person. Natural, unmedicated birth is an awesome, empowering experience & the high afterwards is amazing!
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:56 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Sometimes interventions can slow labor and make it worse, no interventions=less of a risk of needing to get pain numbing drugs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• All I can say is had one with my son- and I will have one with all my future kids too. I do not regret it AT ALL. It was amazing. And it didn't slow my labor down.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:19 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I too was very scared about getting an epidural. I planned on going natural but after hours of no progress they had to give me pitocin (my water had already broke), and the contractions became too unbearable. After the epidural I was able to sleep for a few hours and then it was time to push. I only pushed for 45 minutes. I could tell when the contractions were coming on. I was up and walking about an hour after. My little on had to be in the nursery because he couldn't regulate his temperature and I was walking back and forth within an hour and a half. It did not hurt going in. I barely felt it and the relief was AMAZING. I had an Epi with my second also and was only in labor for 3 hours and pushed for 5 min. So it did not slow labor down for me with either. I would say do your research and go in with an open mind. Don't beat yourself if you feel you need to get one. Do what's needed to bring your little one into the world.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 9:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2009