ultrasounds safe or not?

so all the sudden im reading more and more of how ultrasounds arent safe... wtf??? my dr gives me one evrytime i see him and he has never said anything to me about any kind of issues behind these? can they really hurt the baby? im going to call him today cause if so i dont want as many threw out this pregnancy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There has been a debate on them for years. My oldest is almost 20 and when I was pregnant with her there was a similar debate and they determined they were safe. I have 5 kids and had ultrasounds with them all and they are fine. I am pretty sure they are safe and the risk outweighs the good they do.

Answer by gemgem at 7:48 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I'm pretty sure that if the ultrasounds would really make a HUGE impact on your growing baby, that doctors would refuse to use them. I have had ultrasounds done with my 1st and now 2nd pregnancy. I don't think that they are a bad thing, and plus how else will we know exactly how well our unborn child is thriving inside of us?
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 7:52 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I have 4 kids and with the last one who came early I had a lot. There all fine. I would talk to your doc about your worrys if nothing else just to make you feel better but I would trust him. There is lot of things out there to freak you out try not to worry to much.
    Ianmommy4

Answer by Ianmommy4 at 8:34 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Ultrasounds are soundwaves making pictures. It's not an xray giving off radiation. My oldest is nearly 25 years old. I had tons back then and with each subsequent pregnancy 22 years ago and again 17 years agobecause of complications. There's nothing to worry about getting ill effects for you or baby having them. Why your doctor is having so so many is another story, if you ask him for details he has to tell you. There are many many reasons to have them. No dye is needed for ultrasounds just that God awful full bladder. To ease that if possible get to doctor's a couple of hours early or to hospital and drink there instead of at home then having a full bladder and having to sit and drive to doctor. Congratulations mom!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Ultrasounds have been linked to speech and developmental delays in children. Even in high risk pregnancies, the risk is there, but if you NEED them, then get them. A normal health pregnancy only should get 1-2 ultrasounds, and there's debate on that. The ONLY u/s that I believe is necessary is the 20 week u/s for the anatomy. I got more than I intended to this pregnancy because I had severe vaginal bleeding at 17 weeks and we needed to make sure what was going on... otherwise the 20 week one would be all I would get.

I think there are definite risks in an over abundance of u/s. While they may not be serious, there are risks. It's up to each parent to weigh those risks and make her choice.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:42 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I love conspiracy theories. Seriously hon, if they weren't safe, would dr.s continue to use them just as they have for....what...the last 20 or 30 years? It's just an echo. It bounces of fyour baby and comes back to create a picture. There are just people out there that have had complications with their babies or children that are unexplainable so they grab onto anything as the reason and then proceed to scare the crap out of the rest of us. I had an ultrasound with my daughter at least twice a month for my whole pregnancy. She is beautiful, intelligent, advanced far beyond her playmates of similar age, and all around unaffected by ultrasounds :) Good luck. the only evil i have found in an ultrasound is the cost!
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 5:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2009