At what age can you stop using Dreft to wash a baby's clothes and switch to regular detergent?

My son is 11 months old now.

gavinsma07

Asked by gavinsma07 at 6:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used sample packets of Dreft to wash my sons clothes for the first time, but haven't used it since and he has always been fine. I just wash everybody's clothes together here. I would try washing a shirt or something with the detergent you use for your clothes and see if he has any adverse reaction. I think it is time to switch -- isn't Dreft expensive?
    jenjosfirst

Answer by jenjosfirst at 6:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I stopped useing Dreft about 3 months ago. My daughter is 7 1/2 months old now. And she had no problem with it. I wash her clothes with ours now and she is fine.
    barefootNky113

Answer by barefootNky113 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I never used it...it was a waste of money I used the free stuff given to me and that was it I never used it with my second
    BethKratwell

Answer by BethKratwell at 7:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i use the All free and clear or something like that. I used dreft with my first then I had asked when she was like a year when I could stop using it, and found out that the brand ALL was safe to use so I never used it with my second. And there are no problems. BUT If there are extreme sensitive skin issues. I would base my decision on that. We have no extrreme sensitive skin issues so ALL is what we use.
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 7:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I used the dreft detergent once and my son broke out in a rash. The Dreft actually has perfumes in it. I switched to the All Free and Clear or another cheaper alternative and I wash his clothes with ours, and everything is fine. Any free and clear brand should work just fine
    nfrancis8

Answer by nfrancis8 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i never used it either i have always used a free and clear detergent and unscented fabric softner
    masonelismom

Answer by masonelismom at 8:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Dreft is a big waste of money, it's one of the worst cleaners of all! Just buy some free n clear detergent and you'll be fine.
    luvr4ula

Answer by luvr4ula at 8:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• The main thing is to use something without scent and colors. Arm and Hammer is great and I think there are others. You can use those anytime.
    jackimci

Answer by jackimci at 10:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I preferred ALL BABY than dreft, but if they're not sensitive or allergic, I would use whatever you wash your clothes in...I used it until he was 8 months old just because it smelled so good...
    calebnme07

Answer by calebnme07 at 10:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i agree, dreft will not get any stains out. it sucks. i bought it and used it to first wash any new clothes, but anything he wears, i dont' bother. the only nice thing, is that it smells good, so wash the curtains with it, if you still have some this way when the breeze comes in it smells nice. i have used any of the free and clears that have been onsale since baby was born.
    susanjpt

Answer by susanjpt at 9:43 AM on Jun. 20, 2008