chimney cleaning??

what do you pay? we had a scare with our woodstove and we looked at the pipe yeah it was full so we need to have someone come down and clean it all. we dont know the last time it was cleaned ( we've been here a year ) so what should we xpect? anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I have a wood stove and we use creosote logs and other things to keep it down. I have only had ours sweeped one time and that was before we moved in and it was around $75 BUT that was through someone my landlord uses so I have no idea what a regular cost might be. Call around and ask.

Answer by gemgem at 8:10 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I think I paid around 65. Probably depends on where you live though. My parents always did their own (we used the wood stove to heat our house in PA).
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:38 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• We use the logs once in awhile, and my husband cleans the chimney himself. He drops a brush on a long rope that scrapes up and down the sides (the handle isn't long enough) After all the debris is cleaned out, he empties whatever fell down after disconnecting some furnace tubing. He always burns a hot fire after that and the rest flies right out.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 9:48 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• my parents (since others also clean their own) drops a huge long towing chain down the chinney and drags it along the side walls.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• You can buy a tool to sweep it at any hardware store, they work great too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Personally, I have a professional chimney sweep do it, because not only is their cleaning more thorough, but they will also perform an inspection to make sure there are no problems that could lead to potential safety hazards. I think I usually pay around $100 for the service with the company I use. I feel better using my fireplace knowing that it has received professional attention!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2009