When did you..

go on maternity leave from work? I'm 36 weeks and I planned on working all the way until my water broke so I'd have more time with my daughter (being a first time mom), but it's getting harder and harder for me to work. I never thought that I'd be soooo tired I couldn't handle my desk job anymore! What did you mommies do & when/why did you decide to take it then?

piercedbeauty21

Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 8:19 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I worked with 1 & 2 and went on leave with #1 at around 6.5 mths. I drove boats so I couldnt physically do the work anymore without risking myself and the baby. With my second I got fired for being pregnant so I was out of work almost the whole time. I ended up having a paycheck since they got in trouble for firing me for being pregnant so it was nice getting paid for being home lol. I never went back to work though after the second.

Answer by gemgem at 8:23 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• They put me on maternity leave when I reached my due date and he wasn't delivered for another 2 weeks. I called and begged to work then but mine wasn't a desk job. I couldn't handle sitting still. My house had never been so clean!
    TurksMommy

Answer by TurksMommy at 8:24 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• With my first I didn't work until after he was born, With my second I worked up until I started haveing contractions. I worked at CVS as the Photo Lab Manager so when I would have to stop every 20 minutes or so and hold onto the counter or what ever I was next to I decided it was time to stop working. I did have a chair to sit in while working with photos so being tired wasn't a problem I would just sit when I needed a break. So I quit working on a Thursday and he was born on Saturday.
    SusanReeves

Answer by SusanReeves at 8:29 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I would say work until you just can't anymore and check with your company some will give you up to 12 weeks but I do believe only 6 weeks is paid with most places. Good Luck on your new baby
    SusanReeves

Answer by SusanReeves at 8:30 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I worked up until my my dr. wanted to induce me. Which was a week before my due date. It was very uncomfortable, but well worth it. I got to stay home w/ him for 12 wks. It was great. I was very swollen throughout my entire pregnancy, that was really the worst of it, but i wasn't able to sleep very well either. Good luck!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 8:31 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I was on my feet all day at work and it was just getting too much so I went on my leave around 36-37 weeks.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:07 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• BTW I still had my 6 weeks off with my son- I didn't get paid for my leave so I came back when I wanted..So I think I actually took 8 weeks off.
    krazyash023

• I live in NJ and they pay you for 4 wks before your due date and 6 weeks after. So I always intend on taking advantage of that. However, my body has given up the last two times and I was put on bedrest at 32 wks!
    ljliammama

Answer by ljliammama at 9:44 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I'm 34 wks and plan to work up until the bitter end. I have a desk job so it's not extremely uncomfortable or anything. I would rather use all my leave to be with my baby. I'm just hoping I don't start laboring at work. If I do, I'm right across the street from the hospital.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Work untill you feel like you should go out, dont. No one knows how you feel caring a baby. Your doctor will let you off. if you feel that you need to be off. Just out of courtsey for the job, I would give them at least a week notice.. Realize that, at least in my state, family leave act is not paid. If you have vaction time you can use that. Regardless, you will be off of work for 6 weeks after the baby is born.
    patience32

Answer by patience32 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 2, 2009