No lack of money at the Super Bowl

Is anyone else amused that as much as we are being told the whole nation is suffering financially, how much EXTREME money was spent on the Super Bowl, advertising, entertainment, even seat tickets? I guess there's a small group of a hundred thousand who aren't having any prob. at all, along with corporations (like the ones who advertised at what? A million or so bucks per few minutes) who must be still hootin' it up with plenty of moolah. Odd. It just doesn't match the "economy failing" figures. Not to mention the fact that ball players and coach salaries aren't suffering either! LOL

lifeasinoit

Asked by lifeasinoit at 8:56 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Did you notice that most of the Car ads were for foreign auto makers. That was a huge difference from last year.. imo. Also, career builder and monster were big again. But they get their money for web ads. So, I can see that one. And Coke and Budweiser are global and affordable consumer choices, even in a dampen economy.. I did see less $ spent on the ads themselves... We are HUGE Steelers fans. In fact we are planning on driving to Pittsburgh this week if the city decides [or actually if the city CAN AFFORD] to do a parade for them. I have no problem stimulating the city of Pittsburgh and every other city we stop along the way on I-70/. JOB well done.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• But its not the government that pays for it right? So what does it matter? Everyone can do what they wish with their money. This is something fun that lots of people look forward to every year. Really, I could careless how much they/people spend on the superbowl.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• What we should do? Stop living? I think Super Bowl is something what will take peoples minds away from all negative stuff.
    There are so many players who are doing great work outside then just playing the game or coaching the game.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Advertisements at the super bowl are investments. With the economy being what it is I am not surprised companies are taking any opportunity they can to promote their businesses at an event that millions upon millions of people watch. Its a gamble for some, but maybe something they think they need to try and do too.
    As for others not suffering who make more. I beg to differ. I know alot people who have had to cut back on things they normally spend on that are hundred thousandaires and millionaires. They are putting money elsewhere, unable to donate as much, cutting back on their own spending etc. They just dont talk about it all the time because its really no ones business what they do with their money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I'm not saying that people shouldn't have entertainment, its just that the media keeps telling us that the country (so many people out of work, so many with hours cut, companies cutting back on benefits) and all the large corporations that are going out of business, that I'm wondering if the scare that the sky is falling on everyone, isn't ballooned figures. There still seems to be plenty of money for having fun. Right?
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:06 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• On the contrary, there was a huge and noticable lack of money at the superbowl.

Some of the pre-game events were cancelled due to lack of participation - even the Playboy party, which is a huge deal, was called off.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:08 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• You also have to keep in mind that those companies that advertise during the SB, have money set aside just that occasion every year. More people tune in to that one sports show than any other throughout the year so advertising during that game gets them more revenue in the end.

As far as the salary goes of the players and coaches... they have a cap as to how much per team can pay out annually. Most of the players and coaches have their own foundations to aide the communities in which they live or their hometowns even. Some do mission work in the off season.

Heck, if dh didn't prefer watching the game on tv, I'd pay the crazy amounts to go to the game. I'm a football fanatic, well, sports really..FB is just my fave game.

The PP is right, the govt is paying their paychecks, the owners do with all that they make off of the fans. Most fans save all year long to get SB tickets.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:09 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Super Bowl is one of the last American things we do as a country. Im not shocked by the spending. It happens every year. People who are die hards get tickets for the super bowl as many years as they can and save up to do it. Companies save up to spend on commercials.
    Our country is still in shambles financially and will continue to be for a few more years. I dont think itll stop people from spending on things they love to do. I know for instance Im already saving for our 3 summer vacations we take every summer. Its something I wont cut back on because its what I love to do. However I hate football and didnt watch the superbowl lol. It all comes out in the wash.

Answer by gemgem at 9:10 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• krazyash023 But its not the government that pays for it right? So what does it matter? Everyone can do what they wish with their money. This is something fun that lots of people look forward to every year. Really, I could careless how much they/people spend on the superbowl.

--------------------------------------------

clapping

and actually it was scaled down a lot in comparison to other years

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 9:11 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Obviously, it isn't ballooned figures. But think about it- the super bowl. They have this every year- Its part of the "job". And like the previous poster said- that it is an investment for advertisers. That is what I look forward too are super bowl commercials.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:12 AM on Feb. 2, 2009