Not sure why my 8 month old has diarrhea!

I'm not too sure why my son has diarrhea today! He has very watery loose yellow poop. The only thing he ate diff was junior stage food, that has chunks in it. Everything in it, (except the tomato paste) he's had before. He did have apples and apricot's, that's something he's only had a few times. Could this be an allergy, perhaps the apricot's don't agree with him? He's had apple sauce many times, so I doubt it's that. He has NO fever or other illness symptoms.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it's yellow and has the NASTIEST smell you've ever smelled...it could be rotavirus.

Stop giving any new foods. If he takes any other foods like breads or crackers you can give those to try to help bulk him up (bananas are good too). Give it a day or so...and see if he starts puking. Watch for dehydration and just keep an eye on him in general. But just give foods you KNOW are okay for him until he clears up.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:17 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Sometimes fruit tends to give babies diarreah, try giving alittle along with some cereal mixed in see if that works, if not maybe he caught a bug. I hope not. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:15 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Do you give him juice? My girls have NEVER been able to have juice. EVERYTIME I have ever given it to them, they get diarrhea.
    momoftwinstwice

Answer by momoftwinstwice at 9:35 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• He didn't have juice, and has no other symptoms at all. No fever, vomiting, nothing like that. The first poop was normal colour, it was just kind of runny. Then the second poop was yellow, and watery. It didn't smell that bad though. I'll just have to watch him over the next 24 hr's!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I say if it contiues, take him in to see a dr....just to be on the safe side so he doesnt get dehydrated. Good luck, I know it sucks big time when a child has diarrhea!
    momoftwinstwice

Answer by momoftwinstwice at 9:50 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I hate when anything's out of the ordinary with my baby boy :( Thanks ladies, for the advice...keep it coming lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Why don't you call the doc instead of asking the medical professionals here on cm?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• It's possible that it could be the tomato paste. Tomatoes are highly acidic and not recommended until 10-12 months. Tomatoes in a cooked form (like the paste) are less acidic however. I would call the doctor just to get some advice on how to treat the diarrhea and make them aware of the situation should it get any worse. If it were me, I wouldn't give your baby anything with tomato in it again for a while. It just seems like that may be the culprit since that was the only new food he had.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 11:14 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• thanks Flalbert, I was thinking it could be the paste..and as for anon above, I did alrd call the doc's and he's only had 2 diaper's that where diarrhea! I'm just supposed to watch him over the next 24 hr's. I don't see the harm in also asking on here!! WHY don't you leave your ignorant comments for someone else on here!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Feb. 2, 2009