Can I install the Evenflo - Chase model rear facing?

So I bought the Evenflo Chase model car seat. http://www.evenflo.com/product.aspx?id=6&pfid=1698
I cannot find instructions in the manual to install rear facing. My dd is 10 months old, 19 lbs and 29 inches. Is this model not capable of rear facing? Even though it is for 20 lbs and higher? (I am waiting a response from the safety council as well)
Thanks!

MumFerg

Asked by MumFerg at 9:09 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's a booster seat!!

The very first paragraph in the description says it's forward facing.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:14 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• yeah that one is forward facing only. you wanted a convertible car seat. if you need one to get by until she is older, you could try this one. It's $50 at walmart and actually gets pretty good reviews (its considered pretty safe from all the care seat pros)
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8054497
    SAHMlaura

Answer by SAHMlaura at 9:25 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Why woud they say "20 lbs to 100" if you couldn't get it rear facing? And it is under 'all in one'? So I assume that was all in one... not just booster?
    MumFerg

Answer by MumFerg at 10:14 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Because most people turn their kid front facing at 20 lbs. Also, it's in all in one, because it's a harness seat and can do lap belt....or so I assume.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 10:38 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Is it dangerous to turn front facing at 20lbs?? Everything I read is 40 lbs? I am going to call the safety council. If they say 40 lbs I am going to return it.
    MumFerg

Answer by MumFerg at 10:54 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I called the safety council and they said to put her forward facing once she is a year old.... which is in a month. Sigh. Everything I have been reading says 40 lbs. I left a message to get an appointment to install the car seat!
    MumFerg

Answer by MumFerg at 11:07 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• She CAN be turned at one year AND 20lbs. She doesn't have to. She is safer if she remains rear facing to the maximum of a rearfacing carseats limit which is usually 35lbs.

It says 20lbs to 100lbs because that is the minimum and maximum weight the seat can safely support. It says specifically in the description that it is forward facing, and it's under "all in one" because it is a forward facing car seat AND a belt positioning booster seat. It is not a convertible carseat nor is it a 3-in-1 carseat.

The name of it specifically says BOOSTER.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Would you put your kid forward facing after a year old? That is what the safety council said is the law. I was planning on waiting until she was 40lbs.
    MumFerg

Answer by MumFerg at 11:48 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• car seats only have rearfacing limits of 30, 33, and 35 pounds. After that they MUST be forward facing. This is a forward facing ONLY seat. You should take it back and get either a Britax Marathon or the True Fit. These seats Rear face to 35 pounds, then forward face to 65 pounds. The price tag is pretty high on the Britax model, almost 300 dollars. The True Fit is cheaper at 179 dollars. Or you could do like I am doing, get the Cosco scenera at walmart for 43 dollars and then when your child outgrows the 40 lb weight limit, get a Graco Nautilis which runs about 150 and will harness your child to 65 lbs and then become a booster until 100 lbs.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 1:22 AM on Feb. 3, 2009