Do you put your 2 and 3 year olds in a buggy when shopping or allow them to walk in the store?

I hear my son and his wife complain about their son ( will be 3 in about 4 months ) acting out in stores, such as Walmart and grocery stores. They allow him to walk but most times he runs, rolls on the floor, plays, tries to tear things up and pitches a fit on the floor if they try to make him come back or stop. I guess I am old school, I always put my kids in the buggy, at least until 4 years old. I know they are suppose to learn how to behave and walk in stores but I just waited till at least 4 years old to teach that. Opinions please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• It depends. If I am in a hurry and just running in my dd goes in one of the carts at walmart that has the chairs. If I am not in a hurry I let her walk but tell her in advance she will go in the cart if she acts badly. If she acts very badly I leave the store without buying anything and go back later.

Answer by gemgem at 9:32 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I well let my 3 year old son walk. If he starts misbehaving though he sits in the cart
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:33 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My son is 3. He usually wants to walk, so I always tell him that he needs to walk nicely next to me or he will need to ride in the "seat". He gets ONE warning/reminder as soon as he starts to act up, if it keeps going he goes in the cart, kicking and screaming if need be. Sometimes if he settles down and is calm for a few minutes (and depending on how much more shopping I have to do) I'll give him another chance to walk. IMHO, every kid acts up in public sometimes, everyone can have a bad day, but if it happens all the time I think it says more about the parents than the kids. Giving a child more freedom than they are ready to handle doesn't benefit anyone.
    KateKevinAdopt

Answer by KateKevinAdopt at 9:39 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• It depends, if my husband goes with us then our son is allowed to walk, holding hands with my husband or I. If I am the only one going to the store then he usually sits in the cart. But for being 2 years old, he is doing really good. He knows that if he grabs something off the shelves or anything of that nature he is going to have to sit in the cart. He is very well behaved when we go in public. He is actually very well behaved anyways even when we are at home.

CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 9:39 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I let my two year old walk unless the store is really crowded. There are times she has thrown a fit and I have to put her in the cart but most of the time she is happier walking.
    YoungMomtoGirls

Answer by YoungMomtoGirls at 9:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• When my kids were 2,and 3. If they fit in the seat I put them there. To keep them out of the way. So I wouldn't have to keep track of them. Why make shopping harder then you have to.

Answer by louise2 at 9:45 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• wow my son is 6 and I still do this in certain stores, if the baskit is big enough. He has autism and will bolt away from us. Sometimes he will hold the handle and help push. But as soon as he acts like he is going to run. I put him in it. I dont feel embarrased cause people can look all they want but I would rather look foolish than have a missing child. So if I can do it you all can do it lol. Go for it put those kids in the cart :)
    leeleesboys

Answer by leeleesboys at 9:46 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• No I wear my 2 year old on my back in a baby carrier at the store. If I couldn't I'd probably put him in a buggy.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I let my 3 yo walk. I was really afraid to the first time because I was pretty sure we'd get kicked out of the store - he was a TERRIBLE two and is only just now starting to come out of it. I'd usually carry my infant daughter in a sling, but for some reason I didn't have it with me that day and couldn't figure out how to juggle the two kids so that I could lift my son, so I let him walk and held my breath the whole time. But he was fine. So now he always walks.
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 9:58 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Buggy. Usually where you put the groceries, but if I needed the room, they were in the seat.

I've seen too many little ones wander away from their parents. Don't these parents realize child abductors are following them??? That's exactly what these sickos are waiting for.

That was NOT going to happen to my children. Buggy is much more safe.
    tikigoddess

Answer by tikigoddess at 10:12 AM on Feb. 2, 2009