If you have ever auditioned on American Idol, what is the process? What do you have to do before you get to the four judges?

I'm just wondering...

comfycouch

Asked by comfycouch at 9:33 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Entertainment

• You actually have to audition up to 4 times before you ever audition for the judges...no wonder some of them are so nervous and strung out emotionally! Also, whether or not you make it to see the judges is determined by a lot more than your voice. they choose people they think will make good t.v. ... Hence all the freaks. I am grateful to see they're showing less of them and more of people who can actually sing this year. The creepy person in yellow feathers and spiked thigh high boots screaming profanities about how big a mistake the judges are making by not sending them to Hollywood gets very tiresome.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I haven't done it, but I have known people who have. I remember her saying she had to audition for other people first and they decide if you have what it takes to go on to sing for the real judges. Of course for ratings they set up those horrible people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• You have to line up at least a day in advance and you have to have an I.D. and you sign up and then you wait in the stadium. Then you audition in front of the producers and if you make it you move on to audition in front of the 4 judges.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 11:04 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Haven't tried out myself (in fact I haven't watched the show after the second season!) but a girl I was in choirs with in high school had tried out for it the second season... She made it to the final judges before she was told that she couldn't compete because she "sounded too much like the girl who had just won."

So my advice is --- don't sound like any of the previous winners, if you're a talented singer to start with!
    Bazora

Answer by Bazora at 3:50 PM on Feb. 2, 2009