Would this hurt your feelings?

This is not the first time my dad has said something like this but for some reason this time I really bothered me. On Saturday (I bowl on a bowling league with my family) my dad and uncle stood on both sides of me and were joking around. They smashed me inbetween them. I know totally immature but they do that alot to people because they are bigger guys and they think its funny. Well I said "Hey your going to mess up my bowling" and I said it in a joking manner. After that my dad came back with "Well I was just trying to make you thinner. I think if you were skinnier you would bowl better". I was so hurt by that. I dont consider myself to be huge or anything. I am 5'0" and about 127lbs. So I am not super thin but I am not fat. I would have thought he was joking but he always makes these comments to me. Would that hae hurt your feelings? Every thinks I am overreacting.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• OP HERE_____Wow. I had a lot of typos. Sorry about that. Its too early for me I guess...LOL. I meant to say Everyone thinks I am overreacting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I think he was probably kidding- I'm the same height and weight as you so I know you're not fat.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:38 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I think you might be over reacting. You arent fat and I think he was making a joke.

Answer by gemgem at 9:39 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Don't take it personal, maybe at the moment it would hurt my feelings but don't let it get to you.

You already know how he is (and ur uncle) If it keeps bothering you let him know your feelings if he still don't get it then you know he is just that kind of a person. Don't let it eat you up it will make you feel  miserrable. Just blow it off. Do your best in life and all will be just fine. GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:39 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I do not feel that you are over reacting...Your feelings were hurt, it is that simple. If my dad said that I would no longer be hurt because he is an alcholic and I am used to mean comments...
    but in your case, they are your feelings and that is that simple..maybe if it happens again, tell him that what he said hurt you..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 9:40 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• no im 5 1 and 135 lbs and i am by no means fat i wouldnt let it get to you your not fat my dad use to say stuff like that to me but i just let it roll off my back because i know its not true i wouldnt let it get you to you
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 9:41 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I myself hate for anyone to say comments like that,but if you feel good about yourself just blow it off and don't let them stress you out.im more than sure your beatiful in the inside and out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• That would hurt my feelings...but I'm super weight sensitive. If you think he meant no malice in it I would try to just let it go. But if it bothers you too much, just talk to him about it.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• it would hurt my feelings yes, but if you show that it hurts your feeling he may only do it more. Sometimes guys like to get a rise out of girls, and it can be annoying.. in all honesty though, from what you said, you are not fat at all. I wouldn't worry about, just because you not skin and bones, doesn't mean you are unattractive. There are a lot of guys that like that.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:06 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I have had the same problem with my Father all of my life. Since I was a teenager he would tell me I was gaining weight, getting fat all kinds of stuff. Well it lead to an eating disorder. I have overcome that eating disorder. However, I am 34 years old and he still does it. I am currently 9 mos pregnant and the last thing he said to me before he went on vacation was your getting too fat. I have only gained 26 lbs so far. Then he calls me from where he is to check on us and says you aren't gaining too much weight are you. I will never understand why he does it, but it doesn't bother me like it used to. He has even told me if I am not careful my husband will leave me. I am not exactly skinny right now. I will have had 2 kids in 2 years, but my husband tells me all the time he loves me the way I am. I know this didn't really answer your question, but you are not over reacting and you are not alone.
    Keene

Answer by Keene at 12:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2009