Would You Help Out A Stranger?

I ask this question because I live in Northern Illinois, and like most of the country it is freezing cold here! Yesterday evening I took my 5 year old out to Walgreens to pick up her prescriptions and get her a little treat. When I came back out to my car it wouldn't start, so I thought it was my battery. I had jumper cables and I worked up the courage to ask other people in the parking lot if they would please jump my car for me. I asked about 10 different people and not one would help even with me having a small child with me. One lady even told me I was probably a f**** wasted junkie trying to pull a scam!! I got treated like dirt!! I lost it and started crying and finally a nice teenage male came over and hooked up his car and jumped it for me and let us wait in his car until mine warmed up! What would you do? I know it can be scary to help a stranger, but would you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• wth? That's awful, of course I would have helped.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I would help a stranger jump their car if it were in a safe area and there was no doubt in my mind as to the legitimacy of their situation. Sadly, in this world, we can never be too careful....
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:44 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• OMG! I'm so sorry! I go out of my way to help others and so does my hubby. Heck, my whole town for that matter is nice and helpful. I'm sooooo sorry you had an expirience like this. (huggles)
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:44 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• It would depend. If I were in a bad neighborhood then no I wouldn't. If I were with my husband or other male them I might help someone else out because I wouldnt be alone when it happened. There are alot of weirdos and scammers out there so I can understand why someone might not want to help. Its sad but reality in todays world.

Answer by gemgem at 9:44 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Oh wow, what sob's! I'm so sorry that happened to you!! How nice of that teen. You know KMart and Walmart are actually two stores even with other stores in their lots that don't have security cars driving around to help people. We can't make people help us but we can be prepared - I urge you to get a roadside assistance card like AAA PLUS Premier or maybe through your car insurance co. sign up for one. They do things like that no matter where you're stuck. I personally, seeing a child and mom would have called for help for you (sorry I don't know how to jump a car personally) and helped you back in the store until help could arrive. I would have done the same for an elderly person. An adult male or teen I would have told store management to call police to help. People can be so rude, glad though that you and baby are ok!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I don't know where in Il you live, but I live in northern Il also, (close to Wi. border) anyway, whenever my hubby goes to the walgreens, there are people begging for money, its horrible. In your case a mom w/ her child needing help to start her car yes I would help. How sad that nobody would help you! Thats just awful! Glad you did get help.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 9:53 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I would definitely help, bad neighborhood or not. When there's a child involved and it's cold outside, I would do anything I could to get that child warm. Yes, there are a lot of scammers out there, but you would just have to play it safe. I'm sorry you went through that! People can be so cruel! And I'm glad to see there are some thoughful teenagers out there still. They seem to be hard to come by lately!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• OP here thank you everyone for you comments! and Tiffany237 I live in Loves Park IL about 15-20 minutes from WI border so we must live pretty close to each other!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• yes, we try to if we see people looking for help.

one time we were at walmart i believe and this lady was trying to get her doors unlocked because she locked her keys inside her car. my hubby asked her if she needed help and she said she did so he already had some tools inside of our car to help her but then she must of not trusted him because she called her bf right away and told my hubby she already had help coming.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:03 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• yes I'd help. I had that happen to me a few weeks back. And the only people I could get to help with was the kids parked in front of my car who were dressed like punks! LOL. So never judge a book by it's cover.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:05 AM on Feb. 2, 2009