State Rep. astonished to learn that "religious" does not automatically mean "Christian only"

The TLDR version:

Louisian Rep is withdrawing her support for a school voucher program because she realized that Muslim, pagan, Jewish and other non-Christian religious schools would be eligible to use them.

I have two thoughts over this:

1) isn't it time we start requiring a basic literacy test for political offices?

2) isn't it time we start holding these elected officials accountable for stating publicly that they want policies which favor one faith over all others?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Yes and yes!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2012

• I am so shocked roflol
    Most of these people are proffessionals nd many are lawers. And you want them the belearned too. You do ask a lot

It reminds me when the qualifying tests for teachers were first proposed and how unfair it is to make teachers take basic knowledge tests.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2012

• Yes. To both. I have no problem if an elected official wants policiy to favor a certain group. Because deep down, I know they do. I just want them to admit to it publicly so we know where they stand, and we are all on the same page.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 9:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2012

• Yes to both
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2012

• Yes and hell yes!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2012

• "Hello Valerie welcome to reality, it was about time you crawled out of your little box."

Sheesh!
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2012

• YES and yes!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:21 PM on Jul. 10, 2012

• Yes, and yes.   

It's tragic to see how few of our elected officials have any understanding of our nation's history or the Constitution.  In Tennessee, I think that most of our senators and representatives got all their learnin' from Fox News University.  They proudly state that it's time to return our nation to its "Judeo-Christian roots".  They pass bills to prevent "gateway behaviors" in schools - like hand-holding because we all know that holding someone's hand will lead to indiscriminate sex, while supporting abstinence-only "sex-education", forbidding the mention of the word "gay" in schools, because just saying the word is how kids catch the gay bug, and are allowing teachers to challenge that silly "theory" about evolution in schools because Creationism makes so much more sense.  Ugh.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2012

• Yes and yes.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:05 AM on Jul. 11, 2012

• You mean, *GASP* there are other religious beliefs besides christian?? Say it ain't so! LMAO.
    THis is incredibly sad-she should be crawling under a rock.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:36 AM on Jul. 11, 2012