any idea why children with autism break stuff

Let's see, I need to think about this...
Bubber has broke, countless cd rom's
5 play stations
6 xbox's
1 PS3
1 Wii
a dozen or so computers...
Yes I know the back lash I am going to get... why would you replace them. The answer to that is I have two other children who are not autistic and do deserve the chance to have fun.
Anyone else have this problem, if so how do you deal with it, short of living behind a lock and key.

BubbersDad

Asked by BubbersDad at 9:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son is high functioning autistic and I found when he had a fit he broke things. I dont know WHY they do that but they do and his behavioral therapist said they do things to comfort themselves and sometimes breaking things is like a nervous thing they do but its comforting. I would look into some behavior therapy if you can. Your pediatrician should be able to recommend someone and its generally covered by insurance and medicaid.
    Now on a positive note. My son is 15 and doesnt break things anymore and rarely acts out. It does get better over time.

Answer by gemgem at 9:50 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Does he break them when he is angry or "accidentally" when he is using them? I would have to look at the circumstances of how they are winding up broken. If he breaks them in anger, maybe they need to be less accessible to him.... If he breaks them while using them, that is a bigger challenge!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:09 AM on Feb. 4, 2009