Soccer for 4 year olds

My little girl keeps telling me she wants to play soccer. I never played soccer so I don't even know where to begin to look. Any ideas? Does anywhere offer soccer for 4 year olds? I know that spring is right around the corner so I need to sign her up soon. Any help would be great! Thanks!!

mamakrf

Asked by mamakrf at 9:54 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I live in a VERY small town, we dont even have soccer, but now days, im SURE their is soccer for 4 yr olds, maybe try googling it in your area. Good luck!
    momoftwinstwice

Answer by momoftwinstwice at 9:56 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Call the recreation dept they should know. If they dont go to the local elementary school and ask if they have flyers for sign ups. My sons and daughters never did soccer, we did little league but thats how we got info on signs up etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Both of my daughters started playing soccer when they were 3. You can try the YMCA. We're military, so it's a little different. But, I agree with anon - call the recreation dept...good luck!
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 10:02 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• When my son was 4 years old, I actually started a soccer league in the small town (1,500 people) in which we live. Eight years later over 50% of the children in our town sign up to play each fall. Soccer is a great game for young children because there are not many rules and it is a fast paced exciting game.

Check with your YMCA, local school, Chamber of Commerce, etc. You won't be disappointed you signed her up to play. And 4 years old is a great age at which to start.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 11:01 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My oldest played soccer at 4 but they don't really follow soccer rules per say. They scale down it for them.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:45 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• the ymca is a good non competitive why to learn also do a search on the web for youth soccer in your town.
    majustic

Answer by majustic at 6:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• You're city probably has a leauge.
    I had to sign my son up in the fall for spring training, and yeah he's five, lol. Alot of parents are so crazy serious about this. My son has kids on his team that have been playing since they were 2!!! Thats just crazy to me. If you sign her up now she might be able to get on by fall, depending on ow soccer crazed your area is lol.
    JenO1818

Answer by JenO1818 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• You need to find out if your city has a recreation department. Give them a call. Usually teams start out at age 4. Pretty much at the 4 year old age there aren't many rules. Other than they can't touch the ball with their hands. No goalie is played and usually no score is kept. Its a great activity for the kids to just get out, run around and get some exercise in.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 2:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• AYSO; American Youth Soccer Organization is the best! http://www.ayso.org/home.aspx Go there and type in your zip to see if there's a team near you.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:20 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My daughter just started soccer in our small town, and it is a group of 4 year-olds. Each community and organization are different. Some start as early as 18 months old, but I think four is better, due to a child's gross motor skills level needing to be at a minimum level. She wanted to try it, since her big sister played soccer last Spring, but I am not sure if she likes it as well as she loves ballet. We shall see.
    BerryGirlyMom

Answer by BerryGirlyMom at 1:18 PM on Oct. 6, 2010