Help! My son has been making himself throw up...

At his 3-year check up he got so upset & worked up that he threw up. He was scared & overwhelmed & the DR just forged ahead without trying to let him calm down (that was not a fun appoint. & have since spoken to DR about changing her tactics with him). But he learned a new trick that day... He has thrown up on me a couple times since then because he didn't want to take his medicine & he didn't get his way. What do I do?? I tried talking to him afterwards & explained we don't "choke" (as he called it) on Mommy because we are mad & upset.

Has this ever happened to you & how did you handle it?

juliemoose

Asked by juliemoose at 9:59 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I read this question and then walked away. While I was in the kitchen buttering my toast I thought of something. Tell me what you think:

Tell your son that we only "choke" when we are sick. So he must be sick. Then treat him like he is sick for a few hours. "You can't play outside, you're sick. Remember when you choked?" Then "You can't have chicken tenders for lunch, you're sick. You have to have soup or crackers (or something else unexciting." And go on like that until he says he's not sick. Then if he starts to do it again tell him "If you choke that means your sick and you can't play outside" he'll remember and stop (hopefully).

What do you think?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:09 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Just tell him if he keeps this up he is going to start throwing his inside out so he needs to stop it.throwing up

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I think beckcorc has a really good idea.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:21 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I agree with beckcorc. I try things like that with my kids all the time.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:44 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I agree with beckaroc too. How is he making ihmself throw up?? Like, is he sticking his finger down his throat, cause i really don't think he can make himself throw up otherwise ....
    if it's just coming up, then maybe he has a virus.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• CHANGE your doctor.. and i like beck idea also
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 1:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• beckcorc - I love THAT answer!!! That just might work!! He doesn't put his fingers in his mouth. I don't know how he is making himself do it. He was sitting on my lap looking at me while we were talking and just made himself start heaving and he threw up. It isn't much, volume wise, but it is something that I DO NOT want to become a habit!! Thanks for the idea!!

And the DR - I have since had an appoint for my DD that went south. We were talking about my son and some temper tantrums he had been having. She said she thought she saw him come in with us & thought to herself this will be a great visit. She had mistaken our family for another family who had a visit that day also. She said she had to apologize to the boy for the "horrible thoughts" she had about him. I was dumbstruck. We have since talked and if he reacts negatively to her agian we will be finding a new DR.

Thanks so much for all the advice! =]
    juliemoose

Answer by juliemoose at 2:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• i don't think that it should be put upon your sons behavior.. this doctor is not a good doctor in terms of her interpersonal skills.. but it's your family, your child and your risk.. Myself, i would look for a more nurturing doctor and someone who i do not feel dumbstruck about.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:09 AM on Feb. 3, 2009