How much are you supposed to get back for kids on your taxes?

I heard that a lot of people were getting back 3500 dollars for each kid or close to it on their taxes but my dh and I are only getting back 2200 for two kids.
Do they take money because my husband doesn't have a social security number and uses a tax id number?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you pay taxes and have kids you get $1000 per child as a tax credit. People who dont make enough money to pay taxes and have kids get all of their taxes back plus earned income credit. That is likely why some are getting more back. They dont earn enough to pay into the tax system and are getting earned income credit for their children.

Answer by gemgem at 10:26 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• There is no way to make these kinds of determinations. There are no two tax returns that are just alike. Some people get more of a refund b/c they had more withheld. Some have a large refund b/c they are getting EIC. The previous poster is correct about $1000 child tax credit, but this does not give you a refund. That amount simply reduces your tax liability. That means IF you have one it would only reduce it UP TO that amount. I would not get tax advise on the street. It is always incorrect and you can never compare refunds or tax returns.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:39 AM on Feb. 2, 2009