Ice Cream Social to raise money to adopt 2 babies from China? Why am I feeling snarky about this?

My Mom just called and a couple who I know who go to their church are trying to raise $50,000 to adopt 2 infants from China. I don't know why I felt kind of snarky over this,, maybe because there are so many adoptable kids via foster care in the US?
I thought maybe they had been to China and "bonded" with specific kids,, but that isn't the case,, I must be turning into a sourpuss,, my Mom said I "wasn't being very Christian!" LOL,, but that is nothing new!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 10:46 AM on Jul. 11, 2012 in Adoption

• I agree. Also who is paying to help out the Women in the USA that want to do IVF to have thier own child? That's about 12 grand a shot out of pocket even with great Insurance.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:49 AM on Jul. 11, 2012

• No. I agree with you. Everyone wants a foreign child and there are so many here in the US who need the love and support as well. If I could adopt them all I would.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:53 AM on Jul. 11, 2012

• frogdawg, you comments do not even make sense. Did you even read her post?

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:38 AM on Jul. 11, 2012

• One of the reason might be because the U.S. makes it so hard to qualify to adopt. The rules are so stringent and the process is so long and the cost is outrageous. If every parent had to meet those qualifications before having children very few of us would ever become parents.

I understand your snarkiness about this.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:53 AM on Jul. 11, 2012

• The trouble is that there are many infants in foreign countries that need adopting but very few in the US ... People tend to want to have babies rather than older children to adopt. Sad but true.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 10:56 AM on Jul. 11, 2012

• @ frogdawg Don't you thing insinuating she is racist is going a bit far? Can't we have an adult conversation without someone saying something nasty?

That's CM for you I guess..
    LoViNmYbAbIeSs

Answer by LoViNmYbAbIeSs at 11:28 AM on Jul. 11, 2012

• I think you're doing what you should...not going to a cause you do not support. On the other hand, they are asking for something they likely feel strongly about, and it seems that there are a good number of supporters, so I wouldn't poop on the parade either LOL.

I'm sure they have their reasons for wanting to adopt out of the country, and I don't think foster care adoption is right for everyone because as the others have said, there are emotional issues attached to that. Also, there is a chance that you have this child in your home (for up to a year in my state), have a bond, and the bio-parents meet the qualifications to receive their child back.

That said, like has already been said, I think people need to be able to afford their OWN family choices.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:11 AM on Jul. 11, 2012

• lovin, yeah I paid well over 50,000 to have my daughter as it was a very hgh risk pregnancy and I ended upin the hospital for most of my pregnancy and no one paid it for me or had a fundraiser!

Answer by Anonymous 4 minutes ago

Well I'm sorry you didn't get a fundraiser but wouldn't it had been easier if you had? I guess I just don't see anything wrong with people helping them out. Just like I wouldn't see anything wrong with it if people had helped you.
    LoViNmYbAbIeSs

Answer by LoViNmYbAbIeSs at 11:32 AM on Jul. 11, 2012

• Frogdawg I sure hope you dont teach your children your ignorance. Learn to read.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 11, 2012

• Hey Anon. Go F*ck yourself!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:55 AM on Jul. 11, 2012