Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any way for medical insurance to pay for dental work?

my teeth are SO BAD. i used to do meth so 3/4 of my teeth are broke or rotted. I even have 2 missing teeth right in front that I have a temp piece in.

We have excellent medical PPO. We have dental but it covers 80%. I need all my teeth pulled and full dentures. I can't afford the 20%.

Is there anyway to get a dentist or doc to say this is medically necessary - since rotted teeth can kill you - so PPO medical will pay? Is this possible?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jul. 11, 2012 in Health

Answers (18)
  • Actually there are some dental provisions on medical, sometimes. Usually it's like car accidents or something. Check your policy or call your company.

    Answer by m-avi at 10:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2012

  • Wow you have good dental,, ours only pays for 1/2 and there is a cap on that,, I would suggest you talk to a dentist and see if they will work with you, one may be happy to write off the 20% or allow you to make payments to them,,

    Answer by kimigogo at 10:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2012

  • I think your dental coverage is great. If I was in your shoes I would be grateful to pay only 20% of what its going to cost to repair your teeth due to your choice to use meth long term.

    Answer by meooma at 10:59 AM on Jul. 11, 2012

  • Sorry, I don't think they will cover it. No one forced you to do meth and unfortunately, you are now going to have to pay the price.

    Answer by robinkane at 11:11 AM on Jul. 11, 2012

  • yes, i did meth. yes, i am paying for it. no body is disputing that but you bored women who have nothing better to do than put others down, well, I have something to say. "Shhhhhhhhhhhhh". MMMkay? Thnx lol

    To the helpful ladies - thank you!

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Jul. 11, 2012

  • my medical only covers dental if it is an accident - not sure what they even constitute an accident. like you, i wish there was a way to get them to cover my teeth because bad teeth are bad for the heart, and i have a congenital heart problem. but not possible. man, i would give anything for even 80% coverage. have you tried a dental school?

    Answer by annanonnymommy at 11:27 AM on Jul. 11, 2012

  • See if you can find a dentist that will allow you to make payments on the 20% perhaps?

    Answer by BrawnwynII at 11:28 AM on Jul. 11, 2012

  • i think i did call a dental school a few years ago. and i can't honestly say what came of it. apparently nothing I could work with since I didn't go, lol.

    With my 80% I would still need to pay over 3k. And I did apply and receive Care Credit but my payments would be $150/month. Right now we just can't add that into budget.

    My husband says he'll do it when he gets a large bonus at work but that may not be for 2 years due to a projects projected completion date.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Jul. 11, 2012

  • I would call and see if someone will accept what your insurance will pay to get the business. They do it with medicaid patients all the time, so it might be reasonable for you to ask. The worst they can say is no!!

    Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:39 AM on Jul. 11, 2012

  • Thanks Mom-2-3-Girlz! I will try that. I know surgeons do it...when they are out of network they simply choose to not "go after" me for the 20%. (i had bariatric surgery).

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Jul. 11, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.