How do you enjoy family time?

We have game nights at our house. The problem is that my kids, 8 and 9, fight the entire time! It just stresses me out and I have quit in the middle of a few games. I have told them I want to go and do something as a family once a month. Bowling or roller skating as a family. But I refuse to spend that kind of money if they are going to fight and drive me crazy the whole night. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to have stress free family time. I'm open to anything Helpful. And if we have family time out of the house I want it to be physical, not a movie. We have movie night at home. Thanks!

aeemom

Asked by aeemom at 10:36 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Why do they fight? Is it during the game or is it because they don't want to play the same game? I have a 5 1/2 and 2 1/2 year old. We play simple games like Candy Land or Cootie Bugs. They get to choose which one they want to play. They get to take turns picking a game and we usually play each game. We also on warm days go to the park or go for a walk in our neighborhood. On colder days we have an indoor picnic.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 10:41 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• kids that close fight all the time. all i can say is during the day or when ever you have the kids around you phrase them on how good they act around each other,give them a treat or something it will take awhile but they will learn to get along when they play games, i would take them camping in the back yard when its nice out or have a camp night inside the living room by making your own tent with a blanket and chairs, i know during the winter they have free movies for kids to see,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• We want to establish a game night when our boys are a bit older.
    Right now we just hang out, watch movies the boys like or chat. They are still young so there isnt a ton to be done especially when hubby is gone from sun up to sun down 6 days a week.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:34 AM on Feb. 2, 2009