Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there a smoking cessation medicine?

I was wondering if there was one like the one for alcoholics, the one that if you drink you become violently ill. Is there a pill that will make you ill if you smoke a cigarette too???

Answer Question

Asked by greenfairy9 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Health

Level 1 (-1 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • I dont think so BUT I know there are medications available the make you not crave smoking. I was on Zyban (I think thats what its called) and was a smoker. I hadnt smoked in 3 days and didnt even realize it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

  • I have taken the Chantix pill. It's expensive and a lot of insurance companies don't cover a whole lot of it just yet. It works really well. After a couple of days it makes cigarettes taste so bad that you feel like you're going to get sick. The thing with these pills though you have to want to quit, it's a mind set thing as well. I'd talk to your doctor about it as well. It works though, I was done in a week and a half.

    Answer by Rosalie29 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

  • There is, but the most effective (and safe) one is prescribed by a doctor. It doesn't make you ill by the way! And it works. MY uncle used it, and sure it made him quit. But he said the hell with it, and decided to stop taking the pills and went back to smoking. Talk to your doctor about it, they can reccomend the medicine, but can also help you find other methods of coping.

    Answer by katzmeow726 at 3:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

  • Chantix is one...and I think there is another that works in a different way. I remember c hantix though, it makes the cigs taste really bad.

    Answer by katzmeow726 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.