Do you practice the same religion as the rest of your family? If not, do they know?

This question came to mind earlier today when I attempted to talk to my mother about something that was troubling. Her response was "pray about it"... Pissed me off. First, I didn't feel like that was her helping me or even hearing me out... Second, I don't believe what she believes and so her saying fricking pray about it just flat annoyed me....

Background- The majority of my family are Christians and a number of my uncles either have their own church in the city they live in or are actively involved in ministry. I am not a christian, but I have yet to have an open conversation with anyone other than my younger sister about my beliefs.

So how about you guys? Religion run in the family? If not, does everyone else know? How did they find out? How did they react?

BriHan06

Asked by BriHan06 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• Not at all.. we all believe in something different..
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 2:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2012

• I don't, neither does my sister or brother. None of us really talk about it. Our parents are Christian. Mom asks me to go to church with her, I just say no. We have never really talked about why.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2012

• Yes, I am the same religion (Christian) as my parents, my inlaws, and all my siblings. My siblings all follow to varying degrees, but we all have the same basic beliefs.

Answer by missanc at 3:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2012

• No, and Yes
    Parent's are non denom Christian. I'm an Atheist. They know as well as my siblings. I told them and their reaction (aside from my mom's eyes nearly bulging out of her head) was simply ask why and how I came to my conclusion and that was it. They understand where I come from, and of course being raised in their house I understand their position and that was all there was to it. Of course not everyone has the amazingly awesome family that I do so I'm sure there are those who do not have such a good experience with "coming out" to their families
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2012

• Yes I do. Yes they do and they pretend I don't exist because of it. There are only two family members, cousins, on my side that I interact with at all, and that's only on facebook. On my husband's side it's only my MIL and FIL, every one else has shut us out as well.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2012

• Oh, and the family strife on my husband's side is NOT because of religion. It's a BAD soap opera.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:27 PM on Jul. 11, 2012

• Most of my family is Christian...and more of the Pentecostal flavor of it.
    I am athiest and let's just say-they know, but I try to avoid the conversation as much as possible with them because it turns into how I NEED to go to church and have my morals told to me and whatnot. My mom prays for me and my family and I have no desire to discuss it with my uncles- since they as well as my mom, have all run church services of their own out of thier houses at one point or another.

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:33 PM on Jul. 11, 2012

• Nope, most of my family is agnostic or atheist
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2012

• My family is Chirstian and my husband, children, and I are atheist. They have all been told at one point or another, but we don't bring it up when they pray before meals or say things like "pray on it", so I think they must have forgotten or accepted it. They don't bring it up, either.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2012

• Pretty much most of my family and all of dh's family are atheists.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2012