do you think D&C is abortion?

Do you think D&C is abortion? why or why not? and hare you prolife or prochoice?

i dont think it is. I am prochocie but only to a point i dont think its right to use it as form of birthcontorl but i do think it should option for rape or drugs addicts or if the baby or mother wont make it.. however i dont feel dc is abortion cuz the baby is no longer living or will not be ableto live what do you think?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 10:48 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If the baby is no longer living then this is a medical procedure that is necessary for the health of the mom, not an abortion. Abortion kills the baby.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 10:50 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I had to have a D&C after my miscarraige. How can it be an abortion when the fetus is dead?
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:50 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• prolife
    I don't think it is abortion since the baby is already dead.

And it's funny to me that you refered to it as "a baby that is no longer living..."
    Normally, people who are prochoice don't ever say the baby was a baby that was living.

Ok. Sorry not trying to start anything just something I had to say. :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:51 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• yes i see it as a baby.. but irealize that not all people do and altough i do not agree with that i still fell that women should have achoice
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 10:52 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I am 100% pro-life and had a D&C due to a miscarriage. Due to my high risk of ectopic pregnancy and stage IV endometriosis it was in my best interest to go ahead and have the D&C to rule out anything ectopically and to clear out the endo on my tubes. With that said, I cried for hours before the surgery until my doctor came in and put his hand on my shoulder and said that he did not do abortions, he didn't believe in them, and if he had any doubt our baby was still alive, he would not be doing that procedure. So there are many reasons when a D&C might be necessary and it has nothing to do with rape, incest, abortion or anything else. My baby was already dead and I certainly didn't want to wait for it to happen naturally and flush him/her down the toilet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Technically the name for any loss prior to the age of viability in medical lingo is 'abortion.' A miscarriage is termed a 'spontaneous abortion' as opposed to an induced abortion which is termed 'elective abortion' or 'therapeutic abortion.' As a mom who has lost a very wanted baby in the past I don't find the term to be terribly sensitive to the mom's feelings, but it is the medical term that is used.

From a moral standpoint, no I do not view a d&c for a missed m/c as an abortion. Thanks to u/s technology the mom and doctor both realize that the baby has died. It is a procedure to make it easier for the mom. As someone who waited for weeks to have a natural m/c after the diagnosis of a first tri pregnancy that was over, I can see the benefit of the d&c option to ease the pain physically and emotionally for the mom.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:16 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• If its used to kill the baby then ya, its abortion.
    Ive had sisters that had it done simply to clean things out for various medical reasons, thats not abortion.
    My mother had it done when she miscarried, thats not abortion as the baby is already deceased.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:25 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I am all for porlife, however I'm in no place to judge for other's what's best for themselves. I would not be able to abort a baby, but then I've never been in the situation where I've had to make a decision about keeping or not keeping one of my babies.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• A D&C, or dilation and curettage is a medical procedure used for a number of issues, so no it is not an abortion. My 70 year old mother had to have one recently for polyps that were causing persistent bleeding. It is also used in cases of abnormal pap smears to get a better sample for diagnosis.

I am pro-choice, not pro-abortion.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• In medical terminology, a D & C "removes the products of conception". It CAN be used as an early elective abortion, but it can also be used after a miscarriage, ("spontaneous abortion") to make sure there is no tissue lingering inside the uterus to cause an infection in the mother. Having had to have a D & C after a 16 week miscarriage, I can tell you it is not a pleasant proceedure, and NOT something I would do by choice! When used after a miscarriage it is NOT an abortion, because it does not cause the death of the fetus, which is already dead due to natural causes.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 4:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2009