Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tax question.

My hubby and I just got our w2's back. Now how should we do our taxes? We don't own a home, and had our son(only child) in March. Should we do it ourself, take it somewhere, or do it online? Sorry I'm only 19 my mom used to do my taxes so I don't know whether to do it ourself or take it somewhere.


Asked by krazyash023 at 10:48 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 2 (10 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • With a situation like yours, doing them yourself would be your best option. It isn't difficult, and if you get turbotax it practically does itself. Good luck.

    Answer by SusieD250 at 1:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

  • You can do it online for FREE at Really easy.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

  • If you don't know how to do them then I would suggest taking them somewhere like h&r block.

    Answer by lizafur13 at 11:30 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

  • Dont take it to H& R block! They screw you big time!!!! They are associated with the IRS!!!! Take it to a tax service locally.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

  • Try one of the online *free* websites. If all you have is 2 W-2s, then you can easily fill out the form and look up the tax from the tax tables. That way, even if you e-file, you know it's right. You would check the box married filing joint. Add your son's info in (be sure to include *all* SSNs) and would have 3 deductions / exemptions cliamed. Box 1 of W-2s would be on line one and withholding from the W-2s goes on the back. Then just read through and follow the instructions. It's actually easier than you might think.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

  • You can efile for free online with a choice of companies. You can look at and they have a huge listing. But do remember that if you have to prepare a state return that these are not always free. From what I understand, if you efile your federal, then you have to efile your state.

    You will file using Married Filing Jointly and you will claim your son, which will give you 3 personal exemptions. This should be easy to do and you should be able to file for yourself.

    HRBlock is often mistakenly believed to BE the IRS, LOL but in fact, they are not. The only conection is that they, along with ALL the other companies have to be certified by the IRS to practice. People just confuse us b/c they generally blame Block when they don't tell the truth at the tax desk and their return is rejected.

    Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

  • We take ours to h&r block. It depends on how much you want to spend. We pais a total of $250.00 to have ours done and get our federal back the next day and our state back in 3 days.

    Answer by asholan_07 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2009