How do I discern which church to belong to?

My family belongs to a Catholic Church here in our town and they don't seem very welcoming or friendly. They all have their cliques and their own groups and stuff, and my husband and I have had occasion to visit the Central Christian Church here in town with our daughter and the atmosphere at that church is so much more welcome and more friendly than at our own church. I think we may be discussng changing churches soon becuase of the deroggotive atmosphere at opur Catholic Church. Please advise.

Mary67

Asked by Mary67 at 10:53 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Attending church should be about what feels spiritually correct. If you feel closer to Heavenly Father at the Central Christian Church, attend there. But pray about it. Pray about what church to belong to and you will get an answer.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 10:55 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I think you should pray about it. I know it seems like a simple answer but if you pray about which one is right I am sure you will get an answer. Try out the new church. You don't have to make a commitment. Explore other churches out there and try to find which one fits. Prayer is always a great way to start.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 10:56 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Hi Mary,
    I was raised Episcopalian. I am currently going to a Church called Emmanuel. It's Dutch Reform. A friend invited me and I had no idea what it meant until i'd been going for over a month. I love it. I think your decision should come from your heart. Where you feel comfortable. I prefer a friendly atmosphere with no pressure or snobbery. I think you answered your own question. You feel more comfortable at the Central Christian Church.
    Luv4Jafra

Answer by Luv4Jafra at 10:57 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• You know my grandmother and my mother were raised catholics but as i was growing up I just went to this sunday school my mom did not push me to go all of the time.

so now I don't belong to a church only because I believe in God and do my praying at my timing and God knows what my intentions are. I don't have to go to a church to show that i believe in him. I talk to my kids about him who knows maybe later down the road they will go to sunday school as well. As long as we believe in him I don't see the point in having a religion.praying

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I agree with the first post. If the church doesn't line up with who you are spiritually, then it's time to move on. Pray and meditate on it and God will help you find the path that's right for you.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:15 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• You have to go where you feel more comfortable and welcomed.

You cant grow in your spirituality if you are in a church that makes you feel uncomfy or that treats you poorly. That isnt a growing atmosphere.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:27 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I had a Catholic co worker once who although she identified at Catholic, enjoyed visiting other churches and always made it clear "I am an Ecumenical Christian." Which to her meant, that she wa sa Christian first, and what denomination was not important to her.
    KathySRW

Answer by KathySRW at 12:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Ask GOD which church he would like for you to attend? Also ask GOD what it is that he wants you to do in the church. I am sympathetic to you though, because I have been to different churches in search of the right church. Just remember people will let you down evertime but GOD will not!
    MommedForces

Answer by MommedForces at 12:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I would first make sure that they teach out of the bible.. You must first know what the bible says for yourself.. Make sure it lines up with the word of God.. Feelings are everything,, but the Word of God will never fail you...
    jenandrews

Answer by jenandrews at 1:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Go where God leads you. There is a place for you to grow and mature in Him and if Central Christian is it then be obedient to the Lord's leading in that. We cannot tell you where to go but direct you to HIS leading ! Blessings :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2009