What were you feeding your baby at 5 months old?

My doctor told me to start my 5 month old boy on pureed foods now and was wondering if other moms started their children this young? and how much were you feeding them? and what were you feeding them?
Sorry for all the questions I am a new mommy and a worried one at that :)

NicolePB

Asked by NicolePB at 10:53 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I fed my son breast milk, rice cereal mixed with breast milk, then rice cereal with breast milk and pears or apples or carrots. I tried bananas too, but they constipated him and when they finally passed LOOK OUT!!!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:00 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• It depends on who you are. If you are not comfortable with it then you don't have to do it. If you feel your baby is ready then go ahead. My kids all started with rice cereal at 4 months. Then I went to pureed foods. Try one a week to make sure your baby is not allergic to any of them.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 11:02 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I was still just breastfeeding until my dd was about 5 1/2 mo. At that point I gave her rice cereal with breastmilk and started pureed veggies shortly after she turned 6 mo. My dd's doc had also suggested starting her on the cereal at her 4 mo. check up but I wanted to wait. You don't really need to start solids this early if you don't want to. A baby's main source of nutrition in it's first year is breastmilk or formula.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 11:06 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• It was rice cereal with BM, and a little added pears at first.
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 11:13 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• They got cereal for breakfast, fruits and veggies for lunch and they ate what we did for dinner, I just put theirs in the blender with a little formula.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:16 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Only breast on demand.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:17 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• NOthing but breastmilk. I don't give solids until 6 months.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:21 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• If you don't want to start solid food yet, you don't HAVE to. The World Health Organization recommends 6 months as a minimum age to start solids. Here is some info on why it's beneficial to delay solids. As a new mom, i'm sure you'd love to know the benefits you'd be providing your child.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

To answer the question, at that age, my baby was only getting breast milk, on demand. At almost 7 months, she still doesn't get solids on a regular basis. Just to taste here and there.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• i think all babies are different. mine, i started her on solid foods when she was hungry enough. the bottle didnt seem to be enough for her and she started noticing my food while i was eating and reaching for it. make sure your baby is really hungry before you start, otherwise you'll just be wasting your time and money. my dr. told me i could start when she was ready, and i actually started right then because i was excited too, but my girl had no intrest until a few weeks later.
    CNehneva

Answer by CNehneva at 2:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• i started my DD at 5 months. i gave her grren beans and peas first. she loved em. shes 7 months now and doing great.
    youngandafraid

Answer by youngandafraid at 3:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2009