How Do I Make A Maternity Skirt Out Of An Existing Skirt?

Finding a long plus size maternity skirt has proven to be an impossibility. I am imaging that making a maternity skirt out of one of my existing skirts CAN'T be that hard!!! So, I'm imaging ripping out the side seams on my skirt, and then cutting out a piece of material (on that skirt) from hip to hip and replacing that panel with a piece of stretching material with an elastic waist band. Am I off my rocker?

proud2Bmomma

Asked by proud2Bmomma at 11:07 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• not really off your rocker just really wanting a skirt! lol sounds like it would work to me? With me only my belly up got big so I was able to take some stuff under my belly and wear LONG shirts?
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 11:10 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• No you are not off your rocker, you are on the right track goodluck

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• nope... it should work... good luck!
    Rachael

Answer by Rachael at 11:25 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• http://www.instructables.com/id/T-shirt-Skirt/

Here's an web addy for changing your skirt into a maternity skirt.
    timandisaacsmom

Answer by timandisaacsmom at 11:50 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Another thought - leave your seams intact, and instead cut up the front middle of your skirt. Then take a panel of complimentary cloth, and attach as a giant pleat. As you grow, the pleat will accomodate. Just make sure the waistband is adjustable, since it will be moving higher and end up around your ribcage.

After the pregnancy, remove the panel and restitch your skirt.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 12:46 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Sounds like it would work to me.
    SuzieB

Answer by SuzieB at 1:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Red - considering I'm expecting twins, won't I have a ton of extra material (to accomadate future growth) if I do an expandable pleat? (good grief - how do you spell accomodate?!)
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 1:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• YOU CAN GET A TUBE TOP AND SEW IT ON TOP OF THE UPPER PART OF SKIRT SO BAND CAN BE AROUND YOUR STOMACH .WITH THIS YOU WILL NOT ONLY BE ABLE TO TAKE IT OFF WHEN YOU HAVE THE BABY BUT YOU CAN SPORT IT NOW.
    SCOOKIH

Answer by SCOOKIH at 7:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2009